Muddy chooks!

chloeonz

Chirping
Feb 12, 2019
New Zealand
12FB6B00-289A-4B95-9355-1A8018FE14CA.jpeg Hi, our new pullets- mostly this one in photo - are muddy (dry) due to coming from a farm that was terrential rain while they were being caught. They are dry under cover but the mud hasn’t come off.
I don’t want to wash them as they are new and don’t want them to be afraid of me.
Is there anything i can do - they aren’t out in the rain - maybe this is a natural option - but won’t happen until they have intergrated with existing flock, so not for another week.
Is this the best option?

Your chickens will not hate you if you give them a bath, wildlife rescuers use a dish washing liquid like Dawn, if you have that in New Zealand. I suspect you do but any brand should work. But I agree with Wyorp, it is not necessary. I don't know how cold it is where you are but I would not want to give them a chill.

Dried dirt will not hurt them. Eventually it will come off. Rain would be a natural cleaner. They may just fluff up their feathers and shake if it bothers them, sending up a cloud of dust. If they have access to dry dirt, they may take a dust bath. Sounds strange, using dirt as in dust to remove dirt. This is one I think you are probably better off not trying to fix a problem that really isn't a problem.

Let it come off naturally - that is the easiest.

But, if you think a bath would help them, the chickens won't hate you, and interestingly enough, all the chickens I have bathed have all enjoyed the hair dryer, stood still and made contented noises while being dried. Can't say any chicken loves to get wet, but they tolerate it ok. For soap, we have used a very mild dish soap, and done our best to avoid the eyes.

Your chickens will not hate you if you give them a bath, wildlife rescuers use a dish washing liquid like Dawn, if you have that in New Zealand. I suspect you do but any brand should work. But I agree with Wyorp, it is not necessary. I don't know how cold it is where you are but I would not want to give them a chill.

Dried dirt will not hurt them. Eventually it will come off. Rain would be a natural cleaner. They may just fluff up their feathers and shake if it bothers them, sending up a cloud of dust. If they have access to dry dirt, they may take a dust bath. Sounds strange, using dirt as in dust to remove dirt. This is one I think you are probably better off not trying to fix a problem that really isn't a problem.

Thank you! Yes it rained yesterday and they are all looking lovely today. Thank you for replying! You are right ;)

Back
Top Bottom