Muddy coop

Poodlemum

Crowing
Aug 26, 2021
Northern Utah
Of course we’ve been hit by a huge rainstorm just as we started building our coop 🙄 It’s a shed on a dirt floor, which is now several inches of mud… We’d like to move them in ASAP since it’s predicted to snow next week, but I want them to be warm and comfortable. What is the best way to go about this? I was thinking of going with a sand flooring

Of course we’ve been hit by a huge rainstorm just as we started building our coop 🙄 It’s a shed on a dirt floor, which is now several inches of mud… We’d like to move them in ASAP since it’s predicted to snow next week, but I want them to be warm and comfortable. What is the best way to go about this? I was thinking of going with a sand flooring
Is the coop roof on yet?
If so, is the water running into the coop area from the surrounding area?
Some pics would help here.

Is the coop roof on yet?
If so, is the water running into the coop area from the surrounding area?
Some pics would help here.
No, we hadn’t gotten the roof on before the rain started. It’s up on higher ground from levelling it. No pooling, etc. Just poor planning on our part

Sand + Water + Chicken poop = a vile-smelling and unsanitary mess.

Best to first try to dry the inside out -- fans, some kind of shop heater, and BIG ventilation.

Then put down plenty of dry organic material.

Have you read this article yet?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/
We’ve got everything set, just didn’t anticipate such a change in weather. It was supposed to be nice when we started lol

We’ve got everything set, just didn’t anticipate such a change in weather. It was supposed to be nice when we started lol

The weather never cooperates with us.

Part of the reason Neuchickenstein took twice as long to build as anticipated was that it kept raining on DH's only day off.

Back
Top Bottom