Muddy coop

You aren't that cold in the winters there, right?

Our winters aren't that cold (maybe 15-18F at lowest) however I have circulation issues in my extremities so I have to overcompensate any time it drops below 60 or so.

To a person who grew up in Pittsburgh and spent 10 years in central Massachusetts I don't get winter now at all. :D

We get measurable snow about 3 times in two years. 🤣

Back to the OP. Lime is corrosive! It is a base chemical which means it will be somewhat to a lot high depending on make-up and amount used. It will raise the pH of your soil and seep into the surrounding soil over time. That's what agricultural lime is used for, to raise the soil pH. A soil sample test will determine if it will be detrimental to your soil. If you have metal touching the ground in your yard, as in fencing material, it will cause corrosion a lot quicker.

Back to the OP. Lime is corrosive! It is a base chemical which means it will be somewhat to a lot high depending on make-up and amount used. It will raise the pH of your soil and seep into the surrounding soil over time. That's what agricultural lime is used for, to raise the soil pH. A soil sample test will determine if it will be detrimental to your soil. If you have metal touching the ground in your yard, as in fencing material, it will cause corrosion a lot quicker.
Lime is corrosive, but not limestone.

That depends on the size of the run and the size of the roof overhang.

Small runs without much roof overhang may indeed need additional shelter against blown-in precipitation. :)
I have a huge covered run with a good overhang. It was literally raining sideways yesterday, my run on the duck side is a muddy mess (more so than usual 😁). I had to even clean out their housing since the rain came in slanted. Their housing is under the roofed run. The only thing dry was anything on the south side of the run, but the north side is a mess due to the wind and rain.

I have a huge covered run with a good overhang. It was literally raining sideways yesterday, my run on the duck side is a muddy mess (more so than usual 😁). I had to even clean out their housing since the rain came in slanted. Their housing is under the roofed run. The only thing dry was anything on the south side of the run, but the north side is a mess due to the wind and rain.

I generally figure that when it comes to unusual weather events, if there is a decent-sized dry spot somewhere in the run it's good enough. :)

We went through somewhere between 3 and 5 tropical storms of various intensities last storm season and since it was still dry under the picnic pavilion in the lee of the shed and the feed didn't get wet I didn't worry.

If it's the sort of weather condition that only occurs a few times a year and the run gets wet, well, the run will dry.

Chronic mud -- where the run turns to goo after every rainy day -- is a different matter.

It was coming in sideways here, too.

I've used clear plastic shower curtain liners to cover the rained-in side of my run in the past. Worked great. Wouldn't have made much difference yesterday with the 14 inches we got....

Back
Top Bottom