1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muddy Duck Pen

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HardisonsHens, Dec 30, 2015.

1. HardisonsHens

HardisonsHens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2012
    North Carolina
    Need advice..I have two 10 month old buff ducks in their own pen in our backyard and we have had so much rain for the past couple months that their pen is pure mud,is this bad for them to walk on ? They have a place for them to sleep that is dry with some wheat straw placed inside do I need to buy a couple bales of the wheat straw to put into the pen itself ?

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    You can make one place that is covered up to provide shed and put lots of hay,straw,or wood shaving so they can lay and get away from teh weather.But,this really doesn't hurt them in way.They love and it keep them very satisfied,

3. HardisonsHens

Jun 28, 2012
    North Carolina
    Ok thank you makes me feel better[​IMG]I will be going tomorrow to get two bales to spread out in pen just to try to soak some of it up as they are calling for rain again in a couple days[​IMG]

4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    It won't last.You need a put about 6 inches stacked with straw.

5. HardisonsHens

Jun 28, 2012
    North Carolina
    So if I got some bags of pine flakes put that down then 6"of straw do you think that would help ?

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    After the tromp on it for a week you can make bricks. [Just kidding] putting down straw and shaving will help alot but like TheTwoRoos said they will work it all into the mus eventually but only having 2 ducks it will take them awhile. Oh your in NC so am I yep non stop rain with mud mud mud.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I would use sand and lots of it. Straw in an outside pen is going to turn into a wet, soggy, stinky mess and it will break your back when it's time to clean it out. It's fine for their indoor area but I think you'll hate it for their outside pen.

8. HardisonsHens

Jun 28, 2012
    North Carolina
    We were tlkn bout sand but that would have to be something we do once it ever dries up round here since we'd use the tractor to go back and forth to scoop it up and into the pen and right now we'd bury that sucker[​IMG]

9. HardisonsHens

Jun 28, 2012
    North Carolina
    Ha yep eastern Nc.. it has seemed to rain 1-3 days every single week for a couple months now..I don't think it'll dry up round here till the darn summer[​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    We're actually suppose to start drying out tomorrow but it may take till summer before it's actually dry. been a very strange fall and winter so far. I use river rock around my waterfowls water buckets. I lay landscaping cloth down then river rock from Lowes it really does help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by