Muddy Mess in the run, what to do????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mommysongbird, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    We had some storms today and our chicken run (our big girls run) is a muddy mess. Our white chicken is no longer white, she is nearly brown. [​IMG]

When we built this coop and run I have to level the land so we tilled it up and didn't have time to put grass seed in before putting the chicks in at the time. What can we do now? I have tried straw but after a few days, the straw is pushed down into the mud and it gone.

We are going to have rain for the next few days, some strong storms are possible. The only dry place is in the coop or under the coop and they won't stay in either place. [​IMG]

I am hoping to put a roof on this summer, but until then what is the best thing to do??

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Might get a tarp and some bungee cords and make a temporary top till you can put on a permanent one. Of course it's gonna take a while to dry out but...

3. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Have you tried wood chips? They absorb water well, the tarp is also a good idea but neighbors call those eye-sores.

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    You could try emptying out several 100lbs of sand (50lb. bags of quickrete Construction/play sand will do) and leave in 3" inch layer around door of coop - your usual walkway to and from coop in run. This will provide some relief from most acute problems (cleaner feet for chooks/humans) and then, later on, add a LOT more sand over time (having it delivered by the ton is far cheaper). This was a mud/clay mess during our first Spring - plenty of sand has solved that problem: [​IMG]

5. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Do you mean like the pine chips that you can buy at Tractor Supply??

We had plastic over the top for the winter, but we have mainly gotten rain and no winter, there ended up being holes all in it. So we took it off.

Our other run is great. We didn't have to dig that one up.

I have 2 bags of saw dust and chips that I was going to use for the coop, but wondering if I should just throw them in the run now??

6. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    We did sand about 175 pounds back last June and that only lasted till the first hard rain (about a month or so later). I don't have a way to have it hauled in, can't get a truck or anything up in the yard. I just wish we could grow some grass. Wonder if I put down straw with grass seed under it, if the girls would scratch it up imediately??

7. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

175 pounds ain't gonna do anything... You need more like a yards worth. Layer of pea gravel underthe sand.

8. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    I got the sand free, so I wasn't that choosy. Our run is only 4 foot wide by 6 foot.

9. kmatt87

kmatt87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    i was just thinking about this for our temp run. There is no plant life growing where the run/coop is going to be for a little while. I won't have time to grow any either. I was thinking wood chips to start with....

10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Just use a lot more straw, like a couple bales, cover the floor of the run and add more as needed. You could also use wood chips.

BTW, sawdust is not a good choice inside a coop. it is too dusty (bad for lungs) and is usually too high in moisture, as it has not been kiln dried like wood chips.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by