Muddy run! Help please!

In a run I always advise 10-12 in. or more and just keep building on that as it sinks lower during composting. The more variety of materials, the better, and the deeper you go, the more absorbent that litter is going to be. Come heavy rains it will soak in much better and you shouldn't see puddles anywhere at all. If you are seeing mud or puddles, you need to add more material.

I agree with beekissed. Also i recommend wood chips instead of shavings because the varying particles break down faster plus makes more variety. Pine shavings really don't break down at least not for 6 months to a year or more.

I agree with beekissed. Also i recommend wood chips instead of shavings because the varying particles break down faster plus makes more variety. Pine shavings really don't break down at least not for 6 months to a year or more.
That's for sure!

Yes, wood chips from tree trimming...ramial wood chips, from smaller branches and twigs put thru the chipper.

I'm glad I came across this post. My wife for some reason is in love with the idea of sand and it sounds horrible to me for the reasons one of the earlier posters noted. I was wondering about the pine needles. I have no less than one billion worthless white pines on my property. I know the needles are fairly acidic. Anybody experience any problems with the acidity on the birds themselves or leeching into the surrounding yard? With one billion white pines, I have a lot of needles I could use!! :)

I'm glad I came across this post. My wife for some reason is in love with the idea of sand and it sounds horrible to me for the reasons one of the earlier posters noted. I was wondering about the pine needles. I have no less than one billion worthless white pines on my property. I know the needles are fairly acidic. Anybody experience any problems with the acidity on the birds themselves or leeching into the surrounding yard? With one billion white pines, I have a lot of needles I could use!!
smile.png

Quite a few folks using pine straw in the runs and it breaks down well, leaving behind a rich, black soil. After they compost down, the compost becomes neutral, so no worries about it all being too acid.

Sorry, I'm very new to raising chickens. Are there certain types of wood chips to aviod? I am really liking the idea of deep litter. Seems like an easy way keep the flock happy and to give a nice floor for the birds.
smile.png

Cedar wouldn't be a good choice....the oils can cause some birds to have trouble breathing and they don't break down well. Other than that, I don't know of any that would cause a problem for the flock.

I was planning on using crushed rock then several inches of sand with a layer of landscape cloth between to keep the sand from washing thru. So my question is, the area we are using is very uneven clay type soil. We were using the crusher waste to flatten everything out.... Can I have the rock, then throw top soil on that then start the deep litter? Or does anyone have a better suggestion?

Back
Top Bottom