Muddy Run-Help!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by IonaFarm, Jun 22, 2010.

1. IonaFarm

IonaFarm In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    I'm in central Ind. and we've had nothing but downpouring ran. Our run is hoarably muddy. What can I do? The ground back to the run is also super soft. I can't drive a truck to put down sand yet as planned. What can be done in the mean time? My chicks are knee deep in mud!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    DRAT, I was going to say put sand down....that's how I solved the mud problem......for now, you could just throw down some straw, and that'll keep your poultry up out of the mud.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    My usual emergency fix is a bale of straw. It does get soggy and muddy and has to be removed eventually, but if you use a "hard" bow rake it kind of rolls up when you need to clean it out.

Much more work, but you could lay planks on the ground and wheelbarrow the sand back to the run. We're pretty muddy here, too. Blech!

4. zazouse

zazouse Crowing

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Lots and lots of leaves will help dry out a run and the chickens turn it into dirt in no time, keeps everyone clean and busy at the same time.

Sand is ok but can get infested with fleas.
    Straw is hard to remove from wet mud and it can smell terrible

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    See the page in my .sig below, about dealing with a muddy run [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. bluebird

bluebird Crowing

Feb 4, 2008
    Earth
    My Coop
    I would start carrying in bags of paver base -it's fine gravel- and spreading that around. Later mix in the sand. That's what I use and I never have a muddy run and easy to clean. I'm up here in Valparaiso and we are also getting all that rain!

7. Taisce

Taisce Hatching

Mar 28, 2009
    Get busy with a shovel and wheelbarrow. I shifted 3 tonnes of sand that way a few weeks ago. Lost a couple of pounds too! [​IMG]

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I don't have a truck but I"m at the big box hardware store several times a week so I pick up some all purpose sand each time I go (50-100#) and throw it in. Eventually the run will be all sand, will just take longer. [​IMG].

9. Sand, sand, and more sand. If you have a muddy run like I had and you add some gravel (about 1") and then lay in about 3" of course creek sand you'll solve your muddy mess problems. And your Gals will love you for it too. One, they keep their feet dry and clean. Two, now they can take a sand bath every day. Oh, and in case you wonder if you have enough sand add some more.

10. mgw

mgw Songster

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    I just had the same problem 2 weeks ago.someone on here suggested I srape the mud out as much as possible & then put 2 3" of shavings down. I did that & it solved the problem instantly is still working great. been bringing home 5 gallons osand home every day since when the weather gets better I will rake out the shavings & put in the sand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by