Muddy Run. Help!

tpeila

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
University Place, WA
I live in Washington state where it well rains ALL the time. My run is all mud! My husband wants to put down gravel but I read chickens don't like stepping on gravel. I put some shavings down today. Not sure if it will do any good.

Shavings tend to get wet and stay that way. Sand is good. It drains well, the chickens can scratch in it and keep it turned over. It is easy to move and rake out even. I used river sand from the landscape place where I do business. It is coarser than what you think of as sand.

Three or four inches of sand will allow the water to drain and keep the chickens from having to stand and walk in water or mud.

Chris

Shavings tend to get wet and stay that way. Sand is good. It drains well, the chickens can scratch in it and keep it turned over. It is easy to move and rake out even. I used river sand from the landscape place where I do business. It is coarser than what you think of as sand.

Three or four inches of sand will allow the water to drain and keep the chickens from having to stand and walk in water or mud.

Chris
X2 to all of this. No other kind of bedding material is going to be your friend in a wet area.

Back
Top Bottom