Mulard vs Hinny ducks as adults? Photos pls?j

Kimmyh51

Songster
8 Years
Nov 16, 2015
Are there any physical differences as adults between hinnies and mulards? Does anyone have any photos? I have a rescued hybrid but no idea if he is a hinny or a mulard (I’m 100% certain he is a cross between a muscovy and a mallard type duck). He has the larger muscovy body, and claws, strong wings, etc. catching him is like grabbing and holding a Muscovy not a mallard, he’s much stronger in the wings and his claws hurt! Hi has no caruncles at all (he’s 4 going on 5 yrs old) and his voice is a cross between a mallard drakes ‘verrrp’ as I call it, and the hissy whispery voice of a Muscovy. These are the reasons I am sure he is a hybrid.
He acts like a mallard type duck in many ways but also has muscovy characteristics and will perch and fly like a muscovy. I’ve never seen him do that thing muscovies do where they kinda push their head forward horizontally when having ‘discussions’ or flirtations (as far as I can tell) with other muscovies. He seem to interact more like a mallard type duck, but that’s probably because from a few weeks old, he was raised around them and not muscovies. His mate is a khaki campbell x. His voice though not exactly like a Muscovy definitely has the muscovy hiss whisper thing unlike my mallard drakes.

is there any way to tell if he is a hinny or a mulard? He was brought to me as a rescue after being dumped and attacked, so not hatched here and no idea where he came from or any way to know which parent was mallard type and which was muscovy except by any physical or behaviour characteristics?

Last edited:
Are there any physical differences as adults between hinnies and mulards? Does anyone have any photos? I have a rescued hybrid but no idea if he is a hinny or a mulard (I’m 100% certain he is a cross between a muscovy and a mallard type duck). He has the larger muscovy body, and claws, strong wings, etc. catching him is like grabbing and holding a Muscovy not a mallard, he’s much stronger in the wings and his claws hurt! Hi has no caruncles at all (he’s 4 going on 5 yrs old) and his voice is a cross between a mallard drakes ‘verrrp’ as I call it, and the hissy whispery voice of a Muscovy. These are the reasons I am sure he is a hybrid.
He acts like a mallard type duck in many ways but also has muscovy characteristics and will perch and fly like a muscovy. I’ve never seen him do that thing muscovies do where they kinda push their head forward horizontally when having ‘discussions’ or flirtations (as far as I can tell) with other muscovies. He seem to interact more like a mallard type duck, but that’s probably because from a few weeks old, he was raised around them and not muscovies. His mate is a khaki campbell x. His voice though not exactly like a Muscovy definitely has the muscovy hiss whisper thing unlike my mallard drakes.

is there any way to tell if he is a hinny or a mulard? He was brought to me as a rescue after being dumped and attacked, so not hatched here and no idea where he came from or any way to know which parent was mallard type and which was muscovy except by any physical or behaviour characteristics?
I ended up with two females muscovies this year who have to my surprise (as my khaki campbell, Pekin etc drakes have shown absolute and complete disinterest in them) hatched what definitely looks like a hinny duckling. So I’m interested to see if it will be similar to Bruce, my 4-5 yr hybrid drake or different, would love to see any adult photos of hinnies or mulards to see any differences?

also are there any sex linked colours in hinnies?

@Luv Ducks
B8A03A18-586D-4E9D-8A87-320900B0E220.jpeg

My Mulards were from a Rouen Hen and a Huge Muscovy Drake. One was partially hatched by a Mallard hen, she quit after hers all hatched and I finished hatching it out in the house with a light bulb and styrofoam cooler. I had three, two drakes and a hen. My drakes hissed just like a Muscovy Male does and showed their male parts when trying to mate my other hens so I knew they were drakes. They were huge like their Muscovy father. The Hen makes funny sounds like a Muscovy at times but can also quack. She hangs with the Muscovy Hens mostly but none of them have ever perched on anything and they all act mostly like the Mallard breed since they have been raised with them. The Hen has a Rouen type head just like the Hen Rouen part of her and the body like the Drake Muscovy which is huge. I hope some of this might help. The big Hen is bossy but the Muscovy Hens put her in her place. She is a hog for food being so big.

According to Metzer, Mules are 60% male and the females don't lay eggs. Hinny females will lay eggs but they are sterile. Male and female mules are about the same size, while male hinnies are much larger than females. I don't think there is any way to tell if your male hybrid is a mule or hinny. https://www.metzerfarms.com/mule-ducks.html

According to Metzer, Mules are 60% male and the females don't lay eggs. Hinny females will lay eggs but they are sterile. Male and female mules are about the same size, while male hinnies are much larger than females. I don't think there is any way to tell if your male hybrid is a mule or hinny. https://www.metzerfarms.com/mule-ducks.html
Yes my female mule was the same size as her two brothers. She even had a partial ring around her neck so I thought for sure she was the male. I knew the difference when her brothers started mounting all of my hens and their male parts were shown. My mule female never bothers the other hens unless she is fighting for a treat but then the Muscovy female puts her in her place.

Here's my hinnies. 2 males and one female.
Born 01/15/2023

Female in front, 2 boys in the back
View attachment 3445094

Dad is Silver Appleyard
Mom is Muscovy
View attachment 3445096

View attachment 3445097

View attachment 3445105

View attachment 3445112

Male
View attachment 3445139

Babies with Mom at 1 month old
View attachment 3445138

As babies the males (right) looked like Dad and girl looked like Mom
View attachment 3445126
I wish my Mullards would have been Hinnies. At least I would get eggs from her. I love her though so she stays. I also had 2 boys and a girl hatch out. Mine had a head like Mom the Rouen and big gray bodies like Dad the Muscovy. She was born last summer. I cannot do pictures, Miss Lydia has always had to help me out so that I could show them. I literally had to hatch my girl out of the shell and she was full of goo so she got a quick bath, then under the light she went and she is absolutely healthy and so big! Yours are beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom