Mulberry Trees

Arielle

I'm afraid you are correct, but . . . I checked on the temps for this nursery in Washington state--my home state BTW--and see that the average lowest temps in the winter are in the 40s. Here's a link to that information:

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/98570

Remember that SOME nurseries have plants drop-shipped from another nursery. That may be the case here, or you could call them and discuss your particular climate with them. I'd opt for a more cold hardy Mulberry variety, but DON'T give up hope until there is NO HOPE. LOL. The micro-climates on my acre baffle me all the time. Why does one bush do well on one side of the acre and not on the other? Why are there hot spots? Cold spots? And the most baffling--something I call "no spots."

Shannon
ROFL yes each parcel of land has it's micro climates. I'm on a hill that runs to a river. THe air moves up hill and then down hill, and generally during the day I get hay in my mouth( if I don't keep it shut) when I toss hay to the horses in a particular paddock---

In generall I do think the climate is become more extreme: colder winter days and hotter summer days here. So I am ok with getting cuttings off a local tree that thrives a few miles away.

A few years ago, the local hospital was expanding, yet again, and this time it was to increase the parking lot size. I was so sad to see HUGE 30 foot mulberries come down. Must have been 4 of them. I thought it ironic, here was a food tree being destroyed by a hospital that is supposed to aid people. I still think of those trees when I go to that lot, which is rarely. We are very short sighted.

Here are some of the color variations . 2 different trees . Anyone care to share your rooting method for mulberry cuttings ?

Jerry-- being a total neophyte, I looked on line and saw several methods for dealing with root cuttings. SOme methods seems better than other for mulberry. ie a gardening blog was a bit different than eHow.

On another note-- I am sorely disappointed, and totally in the dumps-- the old mulberry in the town totlot has been heavily pruned such that non ofthe branches hang from the neighboring yard into the totolot at all. NOTHING with in reach. Eventhe second neighbor has trimmed the tree up to about 7 feet. I can see the multiple pruning leaving now dead gray ends of branches. New growth is fruiting though.

I have a jar of roottone that needs a job.

Mulberries are getting ripe here . I have been sampling them . So many variations in color and taste . By far the best tasting are our native red mulberry and it's hybrids . The reds are a longer berry than the alba .
Would I be overly rude if I asked for some cuttings? I'm happy to pay shipping and a little something for the cuttings. Perhaps after they are done fruiting, or when the new grwoth is getting more fibrous . . . .

Would I be overly rude if I asked for some cuttings? I'm happy to pay shipping and a little something for the cuttings. Perhaps after they are done fruiting, or when the new grwoth is getting more fibrous . . . .

I can fix you up after July 4 .

My grandma had a gigantic native red mulberry that had to be 50ft tall and so amazingly wide. I would eat them till I got sick. I have never had a long mulberry like that though, sure is curious looking. I bought land a couple years ago and was surprised i didnt have 1 at all , I was going to just plant 4 or 5 red mulberry trees but I might have to plant some others now.

My grandma had a gigantic native red mulberry that had to be 50ft tall and so amazingly wide. I would eat them till I got sick. I have never had a long mulberry like that though, sure is curious looking. I bought land a couple years ago and was surprised i didnt have 1 at all , I was going to just plant 4 or 5 red mulberry trees but I might have to plant some others now.
Awwwww. what a sweet story.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could get a cutting or 2 or 3 of your grandmas tree and grow them on YOUR property???

Back
Top Bottom