Mulch in run?

earnhardtlvr

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2011
Hagerstown, MD
We have a few bags of mulch left over. It has no dye in it at all, it is animal safe cuz we have dogs that like to lay in it! We were wondering if it would b ok to put in the run? We use straw and pine shavings in their coop. My teens are 15, 16, & 17 weeks old. They have already desecrated the grass in the run and we have put down some pea gravel to keep it from becoming a muddy mess. So what r the opinions of using the mulch in the run?

idunno.gif
No opinions??
pop.gif

Started with grass in my run and that did not last very long. Next went to mulch and neither my chickens nor I liked it (too hard to keep clean). Now have sand and love it. Would not have anything else.

I've tried so many different things for the run, and I have to say, that stuff is hard to clean up, and my #1 recommendation is sand. You can scoop up the poo, rake it up, it drains nicely.....You just can't beat it.

I don't know if I would use mulch just because I had chipped wood in part of my back yard and ended up having to cut open one of my hens feet so that I could help her bumblefoot. I don't know if thats how she got it or not but just giving the information.

My problem with sand is this: the run is on the downside of the hill. We put the run there so we wouldn't have to worry about mud holes and such. But the downside is when we put sand down and it rains it washes out into our human yard and creates a mess. we have been using the pea gravel and DE and it has been working. we just had a few bags of mulch left over from the landscaping we did around the house and just wanted to use it somewhere. So this would just b a one time thing. I just wanted to make sure no one had any bad experiences or if there was something to the mulch that I didn't know. Thanks for all the replies and help!

Back
Top Bottom