Mules ( what do they eat )

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by boykin2010, Jan 16, 2011.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    Do mules eat grass on pastures like sheep and goats. Compared to a donkey do they eat more or less? Do they require more hay like a horse or do they usually just eat grass. I am thinking about getting one as a livestock guardian for my sheep and i need some info. Thank you

2. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    Quote:mules are like horses,,they are eguines,,and amount depends on the animal..some draft mules get pretty big so campared to a small pony mule,,they eat alot..just be careful when getting the mule for gaurding,,some that havent been raised with sheep will actually kill sheep.

3. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    ok thanks for the response turns out the mule is no longer for sale anyway...

4. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Mules are NOT guardian animals. The donkey side takes a twist and a lot, not all-don't want to offend mules that have tolerant lovey personalities- mules really want to stomp the breath out of intruders. And that could mean a newborn lamb, goat, calf........ My mule hates dogs and small varmits, even deer. Small animals are open season for playthings. Then she takes another twist and is fascinated with small children and loves them. Who knows what lurks in the mind of a mule?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by