Multi level coop?

Sseckel

Songster
9 Years
Oct 20, 2013
Southeast, IA
I am just starting to plan a new coop. This will be the 4th one I've built and this time around I am looking to curb some expenses in the build. I don't build "pretty" coops to begin with just solid and functional.
I am wondering if I can increase the square footage available to my flock, without increasing the foot print of the coop, by creating different "stories" in the coop much like in a house. The only difference being that the center of each level would be left open so I could stand up in the coop for cleaning.
I got the idea after looking at a neighbor kids ferret cage and thought something similar might work for my flock on a much larger scale.
Has anyone tried this or something similar?

Chickens don't really do levels, unless it's roosts. Like I have different height platforms in the run, and they use them but they don't stay up there for long. Might try to sketch it out to see if that gives us a better idea of what you're thinking?

I had a similar deal in my run and it worked, but it wasn't closed in, if you get my meaning. It was like a shelf they could climb up to for fun. Might be worth a shot. Maybe put the roosts up and the nest below?

I think I am envisioning a combination of what you all have suggested. A largely open lower level with their water (I keep the food outside but the coop will have electric to keep the water thawed) and nesting boxes just under the 2nd story. The 2nd level would basically be extra wide shelves 36-48" from the floor and would be where I would place the roosts.

I am thinking if there is some "floor" I can eliminate some line of sight and give the hens at the lower end of the flock some blind spots to avoid the bossy hens. Or a space to use as a chicken jail or brooder pen.

I got the idea after seeing a pic on Pinterest (attached) and I am hoping to capitalize on the idea. Plus my hubs is going to kill me if I keep building new coops so I need to get the most I can out of this one, lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210909-124604.png
    Screenshot_20210909-124604.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
I got the idea after seeing a pic on Pinterest (attached) and I am hoping to capitalize on the idea. Plus my hubs is going to kill me if I keep building new coops so I need to get the most I can out of this one, lol.
This is less a "2 story" and more of a "giant poop board under the majority of roosts." You can't really squeeze more birds into the space (the actual floor space still doesn't change), but it does make cleaning under the roosts easier for many people.

When you said multi levels I thought you mean entire separate enclosed floors, like inside a house, with ladders or ramps.

This is less a "2 story" and more of a "giant poop board under the majority of roosts." You can't really squeeze more birds into the space (the actual floor space still doesn't change), but it does make cleaning under the roosts easier for many people.

When you said multi levels I thought you mean entire separate enclosed floors, like inside a house, with ladders or ramps.
Yeah, I want it open enough I can get in there and clean each level, as I mentioned in my first description. But definitely wider than a poop board. I'll post pics when I get it built and I. An let you know how it works.

Yeah, I want it open enough I can get in there and clean each level, as I mentioned in my first description. But definitely wider than a poop board. I'll post pics when I get it built and I. An let you know how it works.
Hope it works out, and I'd definitely be curious to see what pros and cons you find from trying a different set up.

Did you end up building it? I'm very interested in the idea but every thread I've found with a similar idea that's actually been completed, the pictures don't work (alas)

Back
Top Bottom