Multiple (3) eggs with bloody shells today?

TracieH

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2022
I have been finding an egg a day with some blood on the shell. I have four young hens, but only one whose comb has really started developing. One is about 22 weeks and the other three are about 18. I found 3 eggs today with blood on the shells. 2 mid-day and one in the evening. There weren’t any eggs from yesterday when I checked last night about sunset. Anybody have any thoughts about what might be going on? Thank you!

This is what they look like. I also have a 22 week old rooster. He’s our only one. We have 16 hens.

Attachments

• CF991528-4D45-4038-B7EF-0E4245A9800F.jpeg
    CF991528-4D45-4038-B7EF-0E4245A9800F.jpeg
    765.2 KB · Views: 3
Only one of four young hens. All of the older girls are laying. There are 12 older girls and 4 young 18-22 weeks.

Sorry I’m afraid I have not been clear about ages. I have the following:

• 2 hens two years old or more. I’m positive one is laying because her eggs are easily identifiable.
  • 10 hens about a year old who are laying.
  • 3 hens that are 18 weeks. Only one with a comb that has grown and turning red.
  • 1 hen 22 weeks whose comb has started growing and is pretty bright red.
  • 1 rooster 22 weeks old

I collected about 10 eggs today. 3 had blood on the shells like the picture.

Sorry I’m afraid I have not been clear about ages. I have the following:

• 2 hens two years old or more. I’m positive one is laying because her eggs are easily identifiable.
  • 10 hens about a year old who are laying.
  • 3 hens that are 18 weeks. Only one with a comb that has grown and turning red.
  • 1 hen 22 weeks whose comb has started growing and is pretty bright red.
  • 1 rooster 22 weeks old

I collected about 10 eggs today. 3 had blood on the shells like the picture.
That's a lot of butts to check!

Unless they're unusually large eggs your 1 or 2 yr olds probably didn't lay them. The easiest way to determine who's laying or not is to examine your hens vents and pelvic bones .My advice is to put leg bands on all the layers.

Back
Top Bottom