Multiple Black Spots on Comb - not Pox

doc39rob

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Billings, Montana
Cleo 1.jpg
My Pullet has some black spots on the front and sides of her comb. Not cold enough here in MT for frostbite yet. They have a nice coop. Have 1 acre fenced free range yard. I see no evidence of her fighting with the other hens. No other pullets or hens have the same issue, She is otherwise healthy. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cordially,

Brad R.

Attachments

• Cleo 2.jpg
    Cleo 2.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 5
Those are peck wounds.

...more info please? I have a couple hens with just one or two black spots on combs or waddles. Are they always peck wounds? How can you tell? What should be done? Treatment or leave alone?

I have noticed when they give each other a peck, it's on the top of the head or neck. So the location of these black spots seems odd for peck wounds.

...more info please? I have a couple hens with just one or two black spots on combs or waddles. Ae they always peck wounds? How can you tell? What should be done? Treatment or leave alone?
Peck wounds are common from chickens pecking at each other's combs. They get all scabbed up from dried blood.

I usually just let them heal on their own.

I see this more with the occasional cockerel/Rooster tussle, or hens being bored.

The expression "bleeding like a stuck pig" applies here - a peck wound on the comb or wattle can be tiny, yet bleed like crazy. To me, it looks like accumulated, dried blood, maybe with a little dirt thrown in for good measure - an easy way to tell is to wash her face. If it doesn't clean away - if it remains black - then it could be fungus, or something else.

Back
Top Bottom