Multiple breeds, multiple cocks: How do you prevent cross breeding?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by J. Ruth, Nov 27, 2011.

1. J. Ruth

J. Ruth Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2011
    Hi. I am planning on getting a flock of chickens of multiple breeds. But, I don't really want them to cross breed and I was hoping to free range them. Is there any way to prevent it?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The only way to prevent cross breeding is to keep them physically separated. A rooster will breed any hen he can get to.

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    J. Ruth :

Hi. I am planning on getting a flock of chickens of multiple breeds. But, I don't really want them to cross breed and I was hoping to free range them. Is there any way to prevent it?

Separation is the only way; if they're allowed together they will eventually breed.​

4. DTchickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Beat me to it.

5. J. Ruth

Nov 26, 2011
    What are the pros and cons of cross breeding?

6. DTchickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    J. Ruth :

What are the pros and cons of cross breeding?

Pros? They can make some rather interesting looking birds sometimes, they can produce some of the best egg layers, better immune systems at times, etc. (I.E. Hybrid Vigor)

Cons?
    You wouldn't be able to sell them as pure breeds, or at least you shouldn't. You may or may not be able to sell them as easily as a pure bird, you won't be able to charge much for them, you won't be able to show them, etc. Basically for just a backyard flock with no tendency to sell/show, crosses aren't too bad.​

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If you want to show them, obviously you cannot crossbreed them. Other than that, it just depends on your goals. If your goals are eggs, meat, pets, bug control, fertilizer, or some combination of these, I don't see any advantage at all one way or another. I can come up with breeds or crosses either one that can meet these goals. If you are going to sell chicks or hatching eggs, purebreds may be easier to sell. I think if you want to continue a breed, it really won't work unless you go into a breeding program and breed to the SOP. That is harder than you might think. I don't think you are keeping a breed unless you carefully select your breeders to the SOP.

8. J. Ruth

Nov 26, 2011
    Okay. Thank you. That helps a lot.

I was thinking about keeping a combination of Sussex, Wyandottes, Orpingtons, and Wellsummers. They are purely for the reasons mentioned above and not at all for show or selling. Does anybody think that there would be any specific disadvantages of crossbreeding in this type of flock? Thank you very much.

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    During breeding season, I keep my different breeds separated and they take turns being turned loose in the large pen to grub around. Everybody gets their exercise and the breeds remain pure.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Quote:I keep my separated too and rotate them out to free range.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by