Multiple eggs (two soft shell) from same chicken in one day!

Michele, any update on what happened with yours? Mine have been doing this for 3 or 4 days now. Or anyone..
My one girl still lays a soft shell every so often. I still don't know why. But other than that she acts normals and still gives me normal eggs most of the time.

Michele, any update on what happened with yours? Mine have been doing this for 3 or 4 days now. Or anyone..
Are your birds high production/ sex link birds? I have a golden comet that has been laying non-shelled eggs (not even a membrane -seriously looked like someone cracked open an egg in the nest box) and then soft shelled eggs overnight (I find them under her roosting spot), then laid a normal egg this morning. Its almost like her egg-making process is stuck in high gear and can't keep up. [Kind of like that old "I Love Lucy" episode where she takes the job making candy and can't keep up with the conveyor belt :lau]. She has had random laying issues for almost a year now. I chalk it up to her breeding.

Got this pair today from a BR who started laying a week ago.
Was confused until I read this thread. Thanks @aart

On left is squishy but was a normal appearing egg inside.
On right is slightly deformed but hard shelled - has a dented in part where I guess the other egg was pushing against it as they formed?

Is it safe to eat these soft / deformed eggs if they keep happening?

IMG_0275.JPG

Got this pair today from a BR who started laying a week ago.
Was confused until I read this thread. Thanks @aart

On left is squishy but was a normal appearing egg inside.
On right is slightly deformed but hard shelled - has a dented in part where I guess the other egg was pushing against it as they formed?

Is it safe to eat these soft / deformed eggs if they keep happening?

View attachment 1132632
I might eat the hard shell, but not the soft one.

Are your birds high production/ sex link birds? I have a golden comet that has been laying non-shelled eggs (not even a membrane -seriously looked like someone cracked open an egg in the nest box) and then soft shelled eggs overnight (I find them under her roosting spot), then laid a normal egg this morning. Its almost like her egg-making process is stuck in high gear and can't keep up. [Kind of like that old "I Love Lucy" episode where she takes the job making candy and can't keep up with the conveyor belt :lau]. She has had random laying issues for almost a year now. I chalk it up to her breeding.

Believe she's a RIR, got her at Orschlens or TSC, so who knows. I havent got, or at least found a soft shell egg in 3 days or so. But who knows, she was dropping them all over the place. I'm scared to look under my shed, where they spend a lot of time.

@micheleOOF and @ZacoWacko
Welcome to BYC!

New layers often lay soft or thin shelled eggs...not unusual.
Not to worry as long as they have a good diet and are not otherwise acting ill.

Thanks, been here since 2014, just dont post much, lol. Really do a lot of searching. Really should post pics of my coop i built that blew over and the one that replaced it. Just finding the time to do it, lol. 20 acres keeps me busy!

Hi everybody! I'm not new to BYC but in usually on the duck threads... Just came across this thread whilst trying to find an answer on the Internet...
My khaki Campbell girl who is 1 and a half years old has been laying strangely for the last month or so. She is still generally laying a hard egg every morning but also a soft one later in the day. Has any body any explanation for this?! And is she okay? She seems herself although I can tell when she is about ready to push the second out. There's a lot of sitting and pushing

Soft shell eggs ?
We had to have our beautiful RIR - Ruby put to sleep on Friday, I wasn't in the frame of mind for social media but had to come on to check soft shell eggs !
Our Welsummer (Dottie) didn't lay on Friday or yesterday but has today deposited one 'poorly finished' (not totally dark brown all over) and not in the coop bedroom but in the raised garden bed she dust baths in !!
Tonight locking up the run I've found a rubbery soft shell egg (her size egg as other egg layer is a LegBar so smaller eggs).
Is this random double laying grief / stress please ??

One of mine laid 12 hard eggs (1 a day for 12 days) , Then a soft, then a hard..

yesterday, She laid 2 soft eggs and today she laid 1 hard and 2 soft.. (1 hard and 1 soft was for sure her). I am not sure if one of my other hens is laying (2 are showing signs)

How long does it take their system to straighten out?

So since it was a holiday I was lurking around the coop to try to determine which of the girls is responsible for which egg each day. I have been getting 4 very different looking types. Anyway, I am 100% positive FIONA, my Light Brahma laid early in the day.
Later, around bedtime, I went to shut the chicken door, and noticed a chicken not on the roost. Didnt think much of it and went on with my evening chores (horses, ducks, etc). While feeding the horses, I heard something from the coop and though I can't say what I actually heard, I thought I might check to make sure all was well on my way back in.
When I checked, there was a weird soft shelled egg in the middle of the floor. Looking closer, there was a second broken soft shell egg right under the roost where the big girls were, and FIONA had some fresh drippiness on mer rear end, so I'm pretty sure it was her.
That would make three eggs, one normal and two abnormal in one day!!!

Any ideas?

Oh, I have been feeding a mix of layer pellets and layer crumbles (some dont seem to like the pellets), but went and got some oyster shells today, too.
She seems to be acting normal so I am going to just keep an eye on her for now. But if there is anything else I should do or look for, I'd be happy to hear it!
Thanks!!!

~Terry

Back
Top Bottom