multiple injured hens

newfarmgirl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 3, 2011
Hi, out there in chicken cyberspace. I had a predator attack the day before yesterday and lost 3 hens and a guinea to an unknown assailant. I have secured the coop, but am now worried if I am treating my injured birds correctly. I have a beautiful BO that I have brought into the house today to rest and try and get some fluids in her. She only swallowed a small mouthful when I forced the cup under her beak. How do you force her mouth open to use a syringe? She is not interested in egg yolks, yogurt or mealworms. I figure she is still in shock. She has clear eyes and a bright comb, so I am hoping she pulls out of it. Will temporarily removing her from the flock cause trouble when I reinsert her? I have another auracaunna that doesn't seem interested in leaving the coop. She can walk ok, but she seems to be in a permanent state of "puffed" up. ( why do they do that?) She wasn't interested in eating either. Should I remove her from the coop and put her with the other hen in my house? (thus making reintroduction by two?) That way I can monitor her intake as well. As for their injuries- I am not sure how extensive they are. I put neosporin on the wounded areas I saw. I have never given a chicken a bath in my life, so is that necessary and how do I do it if it is. I am trying to get them to take electrolyte water and water with the right solution of asprin for pain. Any help is great and I sure appreciate it. It has been a rough few days. I've cried more over my babies that I thought was possible. Thanks so much.

I bet they are in shock, I would be if I was almost killed and some of my flock mates did die. Clean up the wounds, you can flush them with half warm water and half peroxide solution. If they have wounds they should be separated from the others so they don't peck at the wounds. Chickens can recover from cuts and tears as long as it does not get infected. If you pull down on their waddles(under the chin) a bit and tilt the head up a bit so the fluid goes down their throat and not into their luns, you can give very small amounts of water with electrplyte solution to them. I am not sure they need the aspirin. Keep them warm and safe until they get better. That predator will be back, so make sure that coop is very secure, very secure!

Thank you you so much for the reply! I got about 2 ccs down my BO 's beak. She is at least moving about a bit. So what is up with the puffed up look of my Auracaunna? Should I bring her in to keep the other company and recover, or should I just leave well enough alone? After conferring with neighbors, we figure it was a weasel. Now to get rid of the darned creature!

A weasel is the most dangerous. He will be back. Chicken wire is too big and a weasel can get throught the wires 1 inch holes. So make sure there is no way for a small mouse like animal to get in.You need hardware cloth and close the coop door.
A puffed up hen means she does not feel well. Good luck

Thank you tame... Do you advise taking the "puffy" hen inside with the other recovering chicken? I will try to tap the weasel and dispose of it.

Back
Top Bottom