Multiple Medications at the Same Time?

libbie

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 3, 2016
Upstate NY
Hello,

I've had chickens for many years so am not new to this, but I have come across a new situation and I'm hoping someone else will be able to help. My chickens have always been extremely healthy and I haven't had to deal with many health issues... until now! Anytime a chicken has acted "off" in the past, I've given them some vitamins (PolyViSol without iron) and they've almost always perked back up. One of my girls (a Cream Legbar) has been really lethargic and puffed up so I gave her vitamins - they seemed to help a little, but not all the way and she has since gone downhill. Since then, two more have acted sick - my 3 year old rooster and an easter egger. Here is what I've done so far:

Corid in their water and fermented feed for 4 days now. (The plan is 1.5 dissolved teaspoons/gallon for 5 days, then .5 teaspoons for 7 days)
Purple combs have shown in the Cream Legbar and a broody Cochin so I added Safeguard to their water. Dose of 4 mL/ gallon (liquid) in their water for 2 days and will repeat in 7 days.

It's now day 4 - the broody Cochin's comb has returned to normal and the Cream Legbar's purple comb has gotten slightly better, but not back to normal and is off to the side. The rooster has started crowing like his throat is scratchy and has sneezed a few times so I'm wondering if this is respiratory and he's the only one showing classic respiratory symptoms, or if he's more susceptible by being sick and this potential respiratory infection is new.

The picture is of my Cream Legbar when she first started showing symptoms - she is very lethargic and is moving around slowly, while frequently stopping and hunched up (if that makes sense).

Can I add Tylan to this regimen, should I wait it out, discontinue other medications and only treat with Tylan, or something else entirely?

Attachments

• D3835102-6C1B-4656-8B26-4AB25FEA0D41_4_5005_c.jpeg
    D3835102-6C1B-4656-8B26-4AB25FEA0D41_4_5005_c.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 4
You can treat with Tylan (tylosin) at the same time as Corid, but it should be given orally, not in the water. Vitamin B1 thiamine should not be given while on Corid. How is your coop ventilation? Have you seen any mold? Are you seeing watery eyes, bubbles in an eye, sneezing, or any nasal drainage?

Back
Top Bottom