Multiple Mobile Coops: Integrating Birds When they Free Range

Ccaplan

Chirping
Jul 22, 2018
Newbie chicken keeping question: (pic for attention) I have two flocks. One is in a mobile coop and then other in a barn coop. The Mobile coop has a Barred Rock Roo who is fabulous. The barn coop has about 5 younger Easter Egger's that just started laying and two older Wyandotte hens. I'm fencing in 1/2 acre with chicken fencing and want to pull all these chickens (w a second mobile coop for the barn coop ladies) into this area and free range them all day when I'm home. Is this a good or BAD idea? Will this be fine since there is plenty of space? Will they all establish brand new pecking orders? Will they know which coop to go into at night? Also considering a second roo for the second mobile coop. Please advise. Thank you in advance.

I'm not convinced that having two coops will work too well. It's likely that they will all roost together, at some point or other. Maybe if you built the second mobile coop, but ensured that it was sufficiently large to accommodate all of your flock you may have greater success. This link is very useful -
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

Integrating a cockbird with the pullets should not be an issue. This link may be interesting - Topic of the Week - Adding a Rooster to the Flock. I would not consider a second cockbird.

Thank you SO much for responding - I really appreciate this and thought this may be the case. One more super quick questions - the mobile coops are large enough for about 8 or 9 birds and the second one will mirror the first one and I will simply have too many birds for one if they decide they all like one the best. That said - since my goal is to "safely" free range these guys - should I just split the 1/2 acre in half? so at worst they all get the opp to have a spacious coop and still LOTS of room to roam... they would be able to see each other through the fencing if that is the case and will that be an issue if the roo is on one side... (that's probably a really dumb q). I will not add a second roo for the second coop to your point - unless you think splitting it changes that scenario and your pov.

Splitting the land would work but you would require additional (high) fencing. A second cockbird would work, but I guess it depends on your breeding goals etc as to whether that would be necessary.

Is it possible to extend the size of either your existing mobile coop or your barn coop? I think I'd be inclined to go down that route if it was feasible.

Thank you! Oh that's a good point - we are building it at 6 feet so it's super high... I actually don't have any breeding goals so having that second roo doesn't make much sense. I wanted a roo in that free range area to warn the birds with any aerial predators. UGH no - the second coop has a specific spec and the barn coop is being taken out of commission :( so I think I'm stuck with option A to split the are down the middle (which isn't horrible) - thank YOU.

Can you build the second mobile coop so it attaches to the first one, maybe screw them together. Butterfly nuts might come in handy. Together they are probably too big to move but unscrew them and move them separately, then put them back together. They become one flock and you only need one male.

Not sure where you are located so not sure what your winters are like. Will that mobile coop(s) work for winter?

Hi! Thank you so much! I'm going to talk to the guy building our second mobile coop for some ideas - we live in SW Washington and it's super mild and never gets under 40 or snows so the coop works awesome. My 8 birds have been in there since October and they love IT! BUT now I'm facing this - and you raise such a good point about putting them together - which would at least provide two coop options but they're secure so you can lock them in with an indoor/outdoor area so I have the same challenge with all of them wanting to be in coop A vs B.... great food for thought! Here's what the coop looks like:
https://www.mobilechickens.com/

One more super quick Q: If I do put the two coops "together" which may mean next to each other - then the a.m. after they're moved into the area, do I just open the coop doors and let them mingle? Just like that -will that be an issue? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom