Aycothdad

In the Brooder
Dec 12, 2020
Hi,

I have six broody hens. They all went broody with a couple of days of each other. They are all currently setting in a six bay nesting box in the main barn with 22 other hens and one Rooster. My plan was to place them in a 8x16 nursery to care for their chicks. Is this feasible or do they all need a separate place to raise their chicks? I don’t have six separate areas. Need some advice. They will hatch in 10 days.

Hi,

I have six broody hens. They all went broody with a couple of days of each other. They are all currently setting in a six bay nesting box in the main barn with 22 other hens and one Rooster. My plan was to place them in a 8x16 nursery to care for their chicks. Is this feasible or do they all need a separate place to raise their chicks? I don’t have six separate areas. Need some advice. They will hatch in 10 days.
I've put 4 broodies together and a lot off chicks died, I wouldn't do it.

I’m stumped on what to do. I have a three bay brooder that has plenty of room for one hen and her chicks but when I tried putting them in there with there eggs they freaked so I put them back in the nesting box.

I’m stumped on what to do. I have a three bay brooder that has plenty of room for one hen and her chicks but when I tried putting them in there with there eggs they freaked so I put them back in the nesting box.
I would wait tell the chicks hatch to move them to a brooder.

Will the hens continue to be broody or will they be satisfied?
They should still be satisfied if you want to leave them where the are. Mark the eggs with chicks in them so when collecting eggs u don't get the wrong ones. I have found that if they go broody in cat litter containers it's way easier to move them.

Can you use plywood to make separate areas for them? They won’t need much space but it is best to keep them separated. In my experience the broodies only need separate space on hatch day and a few days after. They need time to bond so the chicks learn to recognize their mom and the mom will recognize her own chicks. After a few days the broodies are less likely to fight over chicks and you can re-integrate the families and the flock.

Back
Top Bottom