Multiple roosters in a small flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crchicks, Mar 1, 2017.

1. crchicks

crchicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2017
    Abilene, Tx
    I have an established flock of 5 hens with 1 RIR rooster that are all the same age. I recently got some new chicks, 1 is around 13 weeks old that i am almost positive is a cockrel, he's a beautiful chick and i don't really want to get rid of him. Does anyone have a flock with more than one rooster? Do they fight? I'm concerned the hens might be overwhelmed

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    [​IMG]

How many other chicks did you get? It's possible that they might all get along. It's possible that they might just be two different flocks. It's possible that when your younger cockerel reaches sexual maturity, he may decide to challenge the established rooster and they could fight. There are a lot of things that could play into how they get along. Plenty of space is a good place to start. Do they free range? That could help. How many hens do you have? Will all your chickens be housed together? The only way to know is to give it a try, and have a plan if it doesn't work out.

3. crchicks

crchicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2017
    Abilene, Tx
    I got the one older one and 3 chicks that are only a week old. With my luck one of the other babies will be a cockrel too. They have a decent sized run and free range for a couple hours a day.

4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I have 2 roosters in one flock,of course I have over 22 hens .
    You have very few hens.

With your amount of hens,you could experience fightings,and overmating.

Some rules for keeping two or more are lots if hens and space.I suggest getting mire hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by