multiple roosters

Just to update. After keeping my roosters separate for 2 weeks but within view of each other I decided to let them mingle. For 2 days they were fine. Then my black roo killed the gray one. Again he has NO Spurs, and they were hatched and raised together and always got along until one day they didn't.

Very very sad and painful death. He pecked the back of his head so violently that he actually killed him.

I plan on keeping chickens for the rest of my life and I will never again keep more than one rooster regardless of how many hens I have.

Just to update. After keeping my roosters separate for 2 weeks but within view of each other I decided to let them mingle. For 2 days they were fine. Then my black roo killed the gray one. Again he has NO Spurs, and they were hatched and raised together and always got along until one day they didn't.

Very very sad and painful death. He pecked the back of his head so violently that he actually killed him.

I plan on keeping chickens for the rest of my life and I will never again keep more than one rooster regardless of how many hens I have.
Unfortunately, that does happen. When they're fighting for breeding rights to a flock, most roosters don't care that they were hatched and raised together. All they see is a competitor. I currently have two roosters but I separated them this past fall, so they will now remain in their separate coops with their own little flocks. I think it would get ugly if I put them together.

Back
Top Bottom