Multiple Roosters

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crystal1957, Dec 15, 2009.

1. crystal1957

crystal1957 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Tallahassee
    Please excuse my lack of knowledge regarding the use of multiple roosters for breeding. I have some barred rock hens that first bred with my Barred Rock rooster, then with my Rhode Island Red Rooster a day or so apart. Here's my question--please don't laugh. Will the second breeding override the first breeding, that is, will I only have black sex links since that was the last breeding, or will I have some Barred Rocks as well? A friend asked me if chickens were like cats--multiple dads, all different looking kittens. I have never thought about this and would like to know if anyone out there has an answer. Sorry for such a silly question.

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I had a bantam EE hen in with some serama roosters while she healed. Then I put her in the big coop with a bantam EE roo, japanese bantam roo, and standard mutt roo. I started collecting eggs from her nearly a week later. Every egg hatched. I have 1 serama looking chick, 3 bantam EE looking chicks, 1 possible jap x, and 2 chicks that are huge compared to the others and black like my standard mutts.

3. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    If you wish to be sure which is the father, seperate her from all butthe desired Roo, wait 3 -4 weeks before collecting hatching eggs.

otherwise you will have a very mixed hatch. Hens (most bird species) store sperm, and release as they lay. they have been known to store enough from one mating to last 3-4 weeks worth of laying.

4. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    first there wins, but since she is continuing to produce eggs, everyday is another race. assuming she is laying pretty well, you should have both. animals that have litters produce all their eggs at once, but hens stagger them. I don't know if one mating can fertilize more than one egg, but there will certainly be some not developed enough one day but will be the next.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by