Multiple Sick Hens, Green/Yellow Poop

No answers here :( We ended up having to put chicken #1 down, she was suffering too much. Chicken #2 seems to be fine, we are hoping to attempt returning her to the flock this weekend. She never had many symptoms. Maybe the corid or Safeguard helped her? (Did not help chicken #1 but she seemed farther gone.) Chicken #3 is still kicking but definitely seems to have something respiratory going on, she has been doing this gaping thing with her mouth and refusing to drink. I just started a new thread specifically for her, hopefully I get some responses there. Really not sure what to make of everything! My (limited) understanding of bird flu was that it would wipe them out quickly so I'd assumed it was not that.

Knowing your location might give us a couple clues..

This could be coccidiosis given the number of birds affected. Give the sickest ones the Corid drench dose for the next three days in addition to the Corid water.

No answers here :( We ended up having to put chicken #1 down, she was suffering too much. Chicken #2 seems to be fine, we are hoping to attempt returning her to the flock this weekend. She never had many symptoms. Maybe the corid or Safeguard helped her? (Did not help chicken #1 but she seemed farther gone.) Chicken #3 is still kicking but definitely seems to have something respiratory going on, she has been doing this gaping thing with her mouth and refusing to drink. I just started a new thread specifically for her, hopefully I get some responses there. Really not sure what to make of everything! My (limited) understanding of bird flu was that it would wipe them out quickly so I'd assumed it was not that.
I’m thinking reproductive issues. But then, three in a row????? My hens seem to be thirsty at the onset.

Gasping, I heard, is respiratory. Supposedly VetRX is good for respiratory issues.

This could be coccidiosis given the number of birds affected. Give the sickest ones the Corid drench dose for the next three days in addition to the Corid water.
Thank you. The last sick hen passed this afternoon. She showed no symptoms as the other two had. Her symptom showed early this morning then she was gone this afternoon. Now I am worried about the rest of the flock.

I'm located in upstate NY, does that help?
I’m thinking reproductive issues. But then, three in a row????? My hens seem to be thirsty at the onset.

Gasping, I heard, is respiratory. Supposedly VetRX is good for respiratory issues.
Chicken #1 was super thirsty.

There's a strong possibility this is coccidiosis. Give undiluted Corid directly into the beak at .1ml per pound of weight. This usually produces dramatic improvement.
We aren't great at the whole "directly into the beak" thing yet, but will give this a try. I'll report back. Thank you for the advice!

This can be your guide. The esophagus is on the chicken's right side of the throat. The big hole you see in the center behind the tongue is the airway. Avoid that. Slide the oral syringe along the inside of the mouth going a little under the tongue, and then into the esophagus which dumps directly into the crop.
2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom