Multiple unidentified chickens

If the previous owner said some were marans, the rooster is probably a marans. Although the APA calls for feathering on the legs, and he lacks feathered legs, many birds shown in 4H are hatchery quality birds. Cackle hatchery for sure sells both marans and French marans, the only difference being feathers or their lack on legs.

The first hen I have no opinion on. I could see either.

What a fun flock! How many do you have in all?

If the previous owner said some were marans, the rooster is probably a marans. Although the APA calls for feathering on the legs, and he lacks feathered legs, many birds shown in 4H are hatchery quality birds. Cackle hatchery for sure sells both marans and French marans, the only difference being feathers or their lack on legs.

Thank you! I have so many I can barely keep track of them! :lau Not including chicks that are less than a week old, I have 32. Add in those chicks and things get a bit crazy :gigOne of my eggs hatched this morning and another is hatching as we speak!

If I recall correctly, Marans were being bred in the US prior to establishment of the APA standards. Some followed the French (feathered) and others the English (clean legged) standard and there was some debate around which would be the standard in the US.

Hoover's carries Marans and a lot of TSC order from them, at least in Ohio. The last ones I saw that came from Hoover's hatchery were Cuckoo and did not have feathered legs.

Back
Top Bottom