Multiples or singles?

Justanother Brooke

Songster
8 Years
Jan 29, 2011
Goldendale, WA
I just got DH to agree to a "few" more chicks...HOORAY!
I found out my local feed store is putting in a special order Mid-May, and I can add anything I want, in as small of quantities as I want.
My ideal flock size (at this point) is 10-12 hens, maybe a couple of banties, and 1 roo. We currently have 2 6 month old laying pullets, 3 (!) 6 month old cockerels, 2 of whom will soon be dinner, 3 12 week old pullets, and 3 banties that I strongly believe are all roos.
So after dinner is processed, we will basically have the makings of 5 hens and a roo, not counting the banties. DH said I can order 6-8 chicks through the feed store.
I am going for total diversity in the flock, trying to have each chicken be a different breed or color. Currently, we have a Australorp, Orpington, Barred Rock, and the other 2 girls are mutts, ha ha!
Should I order 1 each of 6 or 8 different breeds, or 2 each of 3 or 4 breeds? We have no problem eating extra roos, and I figure if one of the breeds end up a roo, that gives me a good excuse to get a few more next spring. Is there any reason that having 6 or 8 different breeds in the brooder together would be an issue? I'm not getting any banties this go around, so size shouldn't be a problem. Just making sure there's not a problem that I'm not aware of...thanks!

The more the diversity, the merrier. I have a completely mixed flock. Never had any problems with mixed breeds co-existing. My flock is separated more along age lines than along breed lines. Whichever birds were hatch mates are closer to each other than to other older/younger birds in the flock.

The only breeds I have heard of problems with is inserting a fancy "pouffed" chicken in with "non-pouffed" birds. Sometimes birds (like Polish chickens) will get their top hats plucked out because it is unusual, and therefore worthy of being picked at.

Good luck. And enjoy choosing your new birds.

Yay! I'm not planning in getting any poufy birds, ha ha!
I'm looking at Easter Eggers, Brahmas, Welsummers, Black Sex Links, Partridge Rocks, Gold Laced Wyandottes and Speckled Sussex.
I'm thinking I may get two EEs, and one each of the others.

Back
Top Bottom