Murder in the hen house

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2dancingrats, Mar 10, 2012.

1. 2dancingrats

2dancingrats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    Yesterday, I came home to find a hen fatally wounded in the chicken pen. All of her head feathers were gone, eyes swollen shut and bleeding profusely. She was still alive. Got her to drink a bit of water and cleaned her up a little. She died before I could finish arranging a place for her to try to recover. When I went into the hen house, there was blood all over the lower walls as if another hen, or hens were chasing her around and attacking her. What happened here? I'm just sick about it and want to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    -Thanks.

2. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    I am so sorry. That sounds horrific. [​IMG] I found quite a bit of blood splashed around one time and never could figure out who was even hurt. Maybe the hen hurt herself accidentally, by hitting her wing against something metal as she got of the roost, for example, and then the others pecked her because she was injured. I really don't know, but I am so sorry. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by