Murdered hens and injured ducks.

Mar 16, 2020
Hi all. So I walked out to the backyard only to see a husky holding one of my dead hens in his mouth. My first reaction was to kill him with a stick and as I rushed him he ran away, as I started inspecting the damage, it turns out he killed 5 of my 2 year old Rhode Island Reds, injured a Buff Orpington, broke a leg on one of my drakes (he has to drag his body to move around) and injured the leg of another drake, he hops around now, the dog is not mine, it belongs to a neighbor down the street. I made contact with her, she apologized and said "well I'm sorry, I can help with whatever I can, I can go buy you some new chickens, I told her, well that's not the point, these chickens are laying hens, I can easily replace the hens with baby chicks, but they won't provide the eggs I am currently getting, plus who is gonna fix the walls on the outside of the coop. I already made a report with Animal Control, so my question is...... what now??

Thanks for your reply, the husky has been picked up by ACO, Animal Control. Should I be charging this neighbor for every chicken her dog killed?
Or should I take it to court and sue her??

Thanks for your reply, the husky has been picked up by ACO, Animal Control. Should I be charging this neighbor for every chicken her dog killed?
Or should I take it to court and sue her??
In the past, we have asked our neighbor for compensation for chickens their dogs has killed and offered them the freshly killed birds if they wanted them - they declined the birds but did pay whatever rate times number of birds. I would suggest quoting them whatever it would cost to purchase laying hens right now, not chicks. Even if you decide to buy chicks and start from scratch, I still think you are owed what it would cost to replace the laying hens. If they refuse, it probably will cost more to go to court than the chickens are worth.

Also just to prepare you, animal control is just going to fine them and give them the husky back. But it does start a record so if it happens again, there may be a harsher fine or other consequences

In the past, we have asked our neighbor for compensation for chickens their dogs has killed and offered them the freshly killed birds if they wanted them - they declined the birds but did pay whatever rate times number of birds. I would suggest quoting them whatever it would cost to purchase laying hens right now, not chicks. Even if you decide to buy chicks and start from scratch, I still think you are owed what it would cost to replace the laying hens. If they refuse, it probably will cost more to go to court than the chickens are worth.

Thanks so much for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom