Murray McMurray and "Aracaunas"

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Telitha, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Telitha

Telitha Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    In their catalog they have it listed as "Aracauna/Americauna" and do state that they not show quality but for egg laying. My question is: Are these just EE?

2. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    most likely

3. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I dont trust catalog. the only way to get the purebreds is through a reliable breeder . most catalog chickens dont always looks like their pictures !

4. Telitha

Telitha Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    I understand you don't get good quality from hatcheries. I just thought it was odd they lumped the two together like that. I wouldn't mind some EE, just wondering what to expect if I did order those.

5. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    It's just what they do. I don't think anyone has ever figured out why hatcheries mis-label them. But, the fact that MM calls them "Easter Eggers", "Araucanas" and "Americanas"(sp) all in the same description while they are all 3 different types of birds is a good clue that you'll get a mix of mutts. Mutts aren't bad, they're pretty cool, actually. And, the price is much less than you would pay for a purebred bird.

What to expect - All Easter Eggers.

6. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Yes, they are Easter Eggers.

7. MIchickens

MIchickens Poultrygeist

Dec 1, 2012
    Fostoria, Michigan
    A little info on Murray McMurray. I received my chick a week ago (27 Jan 13). I ordered 47 total chicks of various breeds. I even went as far as to call my main post office hub and ask them to call me and I would pick them up whenever they got there. I received the call at 11:00pm on a Sunday. I drove the 2 hours round trip to get them faster to reduce the stress....if I had waited to get them from my local post office...who knows how many more would have died. 2 of the chicks were DOA in the box when I opened it. Later that day 3 more died. And the next day 3 more died. 1 day after that I only lost 1. Also, I ordered 4 Golden laced Wyandotte's...they didn't ship them to me. Their was a sticker on the inside of the box that said they said they ran out. Now keep in mind I ordered these chicks 3 months in advance. So there's no excuse for not sending them.

OK, now I have 3 chicks with crossed beaks and 1 with an eye problem. I will probably cull them tomorrow.

I would suggest trying to find a local hatchery around you and buy them from there. I am not happy at all with McMurray. Although their people were very nice on the phone each time I called...I believe their chicks are sub-standard. Be prepared to lose a 1/4 of them due to death or sub standard breeding.

I'm just sayin....lol

8. honeyb

honeyb Out Of The Brooder

yes!!!! In their catalog they have it listed as "Aracauna/Americauna. they are two different breeds! aracauna are rumpless

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  9. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Araucana can only be obtained from a proper breeder. No hatchery that I have ever seen sells Araucana.
    pics of some Araucana so you can compare to EE= totally different! mine are pet quality and were never intended to be show birds if you want exceptional quailty be prepared to PAY for them!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Cassidy Love

Cassidy Love Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2013
    Georgetown Indiana
    Huh I ordered arucana/ Americana This is good to know

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by