Red Leghorns

RedLeghorns

Hatching
Jan 20, 2024
I’m looking for a reputable dark leghorn breeder to either buy some Red Leghorn hatching eggs or chicks. I have looked all over the internet and only Murray McMurray shows Red Leghorn chicks and they are completely sold out for the year. Can anyone direct me to a Red Leghorn breeder; a Red Leghorn club, or to someone who may guide me in the right direction? Thanks a lot for your help!

@The Moonshiner can you help here?
No help.
Murray McMurray has been the only source I've seen in a few years and yes they sell out very quickly every year. They had some still available back in November but don't know when they sold out.
You might have to wait until next October and start watching for them to post 2025 availability.
Side note: I've had their red leghorns and found they didn't thrive for me.

No help.
Murray McMurray has been the only source I've seen in a few years and yes they sell out very quickly every year. They had some still available back in November but don't know when they sold out.
You might have to wait until next October and start watching for them to post 2025 availability.
Side note: I've had their red leghorns and found they didn't thrive for me.
Thanks for your reply! Yea, I waited too late for Murray McMurray. I got two straight run—that was all they had left other than a few roosters. Were the Red Leghorns you got a really deep red? I have seen photos of Red Leghorns that are about as dark as a Rhode Island Red. I have had brown Leghorns before, but I am looking for that deep, dark-red color. I am sure I will try next October for Murray McMurray if I cannot find any breeders before then.

Thanks for your reply! Yea, I waited too late for Murray McMurray. I got two straight run—that was all they had left other than a few roosters. Were the Red Leghorns you got a really deep red? I have seen photos of Red Leghorns that are about as dark as a Rhode Island Red. I have had brown Leghorns before, but I am looking for that deep, dark-red color. I am sure I will try next October for Murray McMurray if I cannot find any breeders before then.
All the "red" leghorns I've seen are actually just like the RIR with the black tails and a few black wing feathers. Mine were very much like the RIR shade of red. Not super dark like a nice line of quality RIR but closer to a decent hatchery quality RIR.
So darker then say a production red type but probably not that deep dark you're hoping for. They could be a good start to get you there with some selective breeding though.

So there’s actually two varieties of “red” leghorn in the US. Both are very rare. But they are also different shades of red.

There’s the Red Leghorn, which is a rust colored, lighter red that’s all red.

Then there is the Black Tailed Red Leghorn which is that darker red color and as the name suggests the black tail. It’s the same color pattern as a Rhode Island Red.

As far as finding them. You may want to check with Fred Zillich. He does a lot of the more rare varieties.

Back
Top Bottom