Murray McMurray Hatchery?

nicodemuschickenfan

Songster
11 Years
Nov 9, 2008
Enid, OK!
I'm planning on buying from a hatchery for the first time in the spring. Has anyone had any bad dealing with these people? They seem to be what's best for me from what I can tell but I want to be sure before it comes time for me to order. So if you have any stories good or bad about them then please let me know.

I ordered from them and told them replacements were ok. Well I mostly got replacements which is fine but they didn't change the order sheet so It's been a guessing game since day one. And I ordered a cookoo maran hen an they sent a roo. and people have told me those are easy to sex at day old. The other thing is I ordered 2 sultans and they have extra toes growing out of the top of their foot. I would have liked to find a roo and breed them but that's impossible now.The extra toe is probably genetic.
On the other hand my cochin's and polish are drop dead gorgeous!But I didn't order them

We ordered around 80 chicks:) of various breeds this past spring from them. All lived except 5. We were very pleased and the chicks were very healthy. I will order from them again. There is a website called www.davesgarden.com and it had businesses that people write reviews about their experiences. It may be very helpful for you. I have also used Cackle hatchery and had excellent results.

for daves garden click on products and services and then Garden Watchdog; type in the name of the business and search

Last edited:
I've bought from Stromburg and the babies all arrived healthy and happy and the right breed and sex. Myers sent me some cute little Barred Rocks with my Doms. Not good. They look alike but they aren't what I ordered. They were healthy though. Next time I order any chicks it will be from Stromburg.

McMurrays chickens are mean. In all my experiences i guess. Not one nice chicken hen or roo. I only get meat birds from them now. Where do you live? I like the small hatcheries owned by a breeder, or just hatch your own eggs by getting them here. Mcmurray has good service, i just think they are mean, possibly passed down from the parent stock? IDK Just my oppinion

Great site Southerngirl. But wow, McMurray's don't seem to do too well...
th.gif

So Stromburg eh? Does anyone else have any suggestions for hatchries if McMurray can't get their act together? I couldn't tolorate dead or deformed chicks. I live in Oklahoma btw. I'll be ordering RIRs and my room mate wants bantams; though he doesn't know what breed yet.

I've ordered from them twice (chicks and ducklings) and am very happy with the birds and the company's customer service.

The bottom line is that NO COMPANY, whatever they are selling, is going to get it right 100% of the time. For every person that has had a great experience with them, there will be one person that has had a terrible experience.

My advice is just to order from the hatchery you feel the most comfortable ordering from. If you don't like the birds or they screw up your order, then choose a different hatchery the next time.

That way you can form your own opinions and not rely on someone else's experience.

I haven't ordered from them, but I LOVE their catalog! It is one of the most read books in our house. I think it is important to remember where you are ordering also, so your chicks have the fastest shipping time.

Back
Top Bottom