Murray McMurray Hatchery?

I have had quite a few bad experiences with Mcmurray Hatchery. Not only do they require a ridiculous minimum, especially for someone who just wants to keep a small backyard flock, but they are dishonest and produce unhealthy birds and then turn around and market them as good-quality purebreds. I will occasionally split an order with a friend, but this is the last time. Next year I'm buying from My Pet Chicken. Last year I picked out a red frizzle bantam Cochin pullet to supplement my Serama flock, egg-wise. She looked enough like a Cochin up until ten weeks, then she started looking like a narrow Cochin on Modern Game legs, and started trying to kill the Seramas around the same time. She's nice enough, but every month or so, she goes under the porch and tries to raise a clutch, which is impossible, considering she won't let the rooster near her. This year, I tried to start a laying flock, by picking out what was supposed to be three Red Star pullets, plus a Silver Phoenix. Two turned out to be some kind of unspecified cockerel(I think), as they were not only the right color for a pullet, but are acting like cockerels, so those two found a new home. The third is a girl, but turned out to be a runty Buff Orpington. At fifteen weeks, she is only a few ounces heavier than my mid-sized Serama hen, and doesn't seem to be in a hurry to change that. As for the Phoenix, she came with crooked toes(which didn't respond when I splinted them), is also two pounds lighter than she should be at her age, AND appears to be a Modern Game Bantam Silver Phoenix cross.

I have researched it and found a lot of unsatisfied customers. Look for mcmurry hatchery reviews, This gives you true reviews. I have ordered from several hatcheries not Mcmurrys. out of 75 birds I have lost three. I now hatch my own and out of the hatched over 100 I have lost 5 to death. about 45 to a mink. (He is hanging on my fence. Made me angry.)

I just got my first order of 15 (plus one free) from these folks. They are almost 4 weeks old now and all still alive and happy. While they all arrived alive and chirpy, two had issues at the start. One Polish wasn't thriving right off the bat and I had to nurse her back (she's fine now, but still smaller than the others), and one had some kind of eye issue that I've also been nursing with meds and rinse at least twice a day. They both appear to be doing well. The only issue I would say I have (so far), is that clearly a number of what I ordered was replaced with something other than the specific breeds I ordered and I have no idea what my free one was, especially since so many were replaced. Since I don't show any of them and they're basically just pets for me with the added benefit of fresh eggs, I don't really have a problem with that. I ordered all pullets, but I suspect that at least 3 or 4 of my babies are little roosters because they just "act" differently . . .more bold, more investigative, more "who the heck are YOU and what do you want?," etc. . . . we shall see when someone starts crowing. More than one rooster could be a problem with such a small flock. Too early to worry though.

Has anyone ordered anything besides chickens from them? I'm looking at a big turkey and duck order in spring. I don't mind crossbreeds-all my birds are mutts anyway, but I cant afford a $200+ order to get nothing but toms and drakes or sickly birds.

I realize this thread isn't all brand new.

There are both sides of the fence to every single story and I know from working in customer service that when people are upset they sometimes like to stretch the truth to feel more justified in their unhappiness. I'm not saying that is always the case but it does occur. There are people like me who have not had a bad experience with MM and no matter what hatchery you choose there are the few who have experienced problems, issues, or are just unhappy with service.

I bought 18 chicks from MM early this year and all arrived healthy, robust and ready to go. My polish was a little slow at first, but with some hydration and sugar water he picked right up. The birds have all remained healthy, vigorous and are in fact all out in my coop now with the exception of two. Those two being lost to a predator and to my own stupid dogs. I have 28 more peeps on the way coming in March and my only concern with my order is it being a month earlier than last time, I live in Michigan, and is the Postal Service going to be as quick and timely as they were with my previous order on their route to me.

MM birds are definitely not #1 show quality but many breeds are better at MM and closer to some of the standards than other hatcheries I have been viewing. Happy to be doing business with them again.

In any case I wish anyone luck in whatever route they choose to go with their birds be it hatchery, local owners, or breeders from all over.

I am looking to split an order of Bantam chicks this May, ordered from Murray McMurray Hatchery.
The minimum order is 15 chicks and I am looking to keep 5, all females.
I am looking at 5 varieties all chosen for their looks and good egg laying (for Bantams
wink.png
)

RED PYLE GAME Bantam
RED FRIZZLE COCHIN BANTAM
GOLDEN LACED COCHIN Bantam
BUFF BRAHMA BANTAM
ARAUCANA/AMERICANA BANTAM

I would raise them till about 6 weeks until I could sex them. After that you would take the remaining 10.
Because I would be taking the "Pick of the Litter", hopefully one of each breed, I would be willing to give you a heck of deal on the remaining 10 chicks.

Please private message me if you are interested.
I live in Pasco County Florida.

I ordered from McMurray last may the brown egg layer and rarest of rare egg layer collections. The chicks were all sexed correctly and very healthy.. The mature birds are laying fine. The only problem/disappointment was in variety. 5 out of 15 brown egg layers were red sexlinks and I received NO CRESTED CHICKS and NO feather footed breeds.

This year I'm using ideal poultry so I can pick and choose without the minimums.

I just ordered 16 white Cochins from here that are going to be delivered around April 6th, I read both positive and negative so im going to try for myself. Hopefully the amount ive paid for these little babies don't all show up dead. Keeping my fingers crossed I can mark this off as a positive experience.

Well, im placing my order of turkeys, geese, and ducks tomorrow evening for a june 8 ship date-will let everyone know what comes of it!

I have gotten birds from them. As far as hatcheries go, I guess they are "all right". But, when you find out what really goes on inside of hatcheries, none really look good to you. They treat them like products to ship and replace easily. They kill baby boys because no one wants them by grinding them up. They handle them like they have no feeling, and hatch them out of massive sterile incubators. No thanks.
I just get birds from people that do not want them, or my mother gets them from reputable breeders.

I ordered from them and told them replacements were ok. Well I mostly got replacements which is fine but they didn't change the order sheet so It's been a guessing game since day one. And I ordered a cookoo maran hen an they sent a roo. and people have told me those are easy to sex at day old. The other thing is I ordered 2 sultans and they have extra toes growing out of the top of their foot. I would have liked to find a roo and breed them but that's impossible now.The extra toe is probably genetic.
On the other hand my cochin's and polish are drop dead gorgeous!But I didn't order them
Sultans are supposed to have extra toes along with silkies and favorelles ( i think thats how you spell it XD). Just thought id let you . :)

Back
Top Bottom