Murray order received DOA

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by barb, Feb 13, 2008.

1. barb

barb New Egg

Feb 13, 2008
    [​IMG] Our order from Murray that was shipped on 2/9 was just received - 4 days later! None survived. I'm thinking about ordering from another hatchery - My Pet Chicken. On their website, they say they've "partnered with a forward-thinking hatchery that has developed a brand new way of shipping baby chicks that includes a high-tech, long- last heating element." Because of this, they'll ship as few as 3 day-old chicks. They also sex bantam's (for a significant premium).

Has anyone dealt with or heard about this company before? I like the idea of a more humane shipping experience for the chicks. The kids (and I) are pretty upset about this experience. BTW, this is our second year with birds.

Thanks for any advice.

Barb

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    My Pet Chicken has a good reputation.

I think the McMurray chicks died because they had no water or food for 4 days, not that they were chilled...

3. katknapp

katknapp Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2007
    East Fishkill, NY
  4. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    im sorry! thats terrible. Did you call the hatchery? Call and demand a new shipment. I mean you should get a new shipment from murray... since you spent your money on them, thats the right thing for them to do.

5. katknapp

katknapp Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2007
    East Fishkill, NY
    Barb, I forgot to say sorry for your loss on your other order. That must have been very hard for your kids.
    I opened our box and was very nervous that there would be chicks that hadn't made it but they were all chirping and very active ... ate and drank right away.
    Good luck with your next order!

6. barb

barb New Egg

Feb 13, 2008
    Thanks for your sympathies. I talked with McMurray yesterday when the chicks were missing. The woman was very concerned, explained the shipping process very thoroughly, and asked me to call her today with an update (I will soon). If I want, they will re-ship my order this weekend.

I'm thinking about My Pet Chicken because I really don't need 25 more birds, and I especially don't need many more roosters. Although, it's great fun watching that many chicks play together!

Thanks again!

Barb

7. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I am so sorry for your loss. 4 days sounds like the Post Office fault not Murray. Good luck with getting new chicks.

Have you checked into Ideal Poultry? They are a sponsor on here and you don't have to order 25 chickens.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  8. MNKris

MNKris Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2007
    Barb -

I know how bummed you must feel. it is really sad when they don't live. It was the post office, not McMurray. And, it was the weather. Many interstates were closed over the weekend in the midwest where the trucklines travel from McMurrays.

I am in MN and picked up my chicks last weekend. We drove through a blizzard on the way home. McMurrays is a really nice facility and the people are top notch.

Just so you and everyone else know, McMurray said they weren't going to be shipping a lot of extra chicks because people complained last year. I ordered 109 chicks plus a free one and ended up with 5 extras but according to the slip I was only supposed to have 2 extras.

9. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I COULD be wrong about this... but I do believe My Pet Chicken is just a 'broker' - they don't hatch their own chicks but get them dropped shipped for you.

I ordered 7 chicks last fall from Meyer Hatchery (another BYC sponsor too!) and they arrived very healthy and in less than 24 hours from hatch time. Meyer is in Ohio and I'm in NC.

I used their small order shipping - it's a bit more expensive (I paid more for shipping than for the chicks) but they did include a warm pack in the bottom of the box that was still warm when they arrived to me.

Just my experience...

10. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Barb,

Sorry for the bad experience with the chicks - especially when there's kids involved who are so excited, only to be very disappointed when none of the chicks survive. [​IMG] I remember last year at this time there were a lot of posts on BYC about boxes of chicks that didn't make it. However, this is pretty rare considering how many chicks they ship.
    I wouldn't blame McMurray either - the post office shouldn't have taken 4 days to deliver to you. Another problem with this time of year is that is is SO COLD in many parts of the country. Where are you located? I'd give McMurray another chance. I heard that My Pet Chicken is VERY EXPENSIVE for just a couple of chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by