Muscovey eye problem...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by trulefty, Jan 5, 2010.

1. trulefty

trulefty Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2009
    Magnolia, Ms
    I have Muscovey drake with heavy carbuncles on his head. I noticed that he has white spots growing in between the carbucles and his eyes and they seem to be getting larger. Is this normal? He is free range and doesn't let me get close enough to catch him so I guess I can't do anything even if this isn't normal. But was wondering....

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

A pictures would be a HUGE help. It does sound weird though, i have never seen white bumps or spots in my Muscovies curuncles.

I would highly sduggest seperating him until you know that its nothing contagious.

3. MDC

MDC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    Sorry, but it's caruncles. [​IMG] Not sure if it's a typo or ...

Anyway, what I imagine you're referring to is a white bubbly foam-type substance? This is common with Muscovy, especially males, and especially during the winter. In some instances it can be caused by illness and/or injury, but in most cases it's just the result of poor hygiene. Muscovy don't tend to bathe/preen as regularly nor as diligently during the winter so foamy eye results. If the bird is otherwise thrifty I would not worry too much about it and just try to make sure that on the nice warm/sunny days that they have water available to bathe if they want to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by