1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovey keeps cracking her eggs ? HELP !!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by poultrykeeper08, Aug 15, 2008.

1. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I have a muscovey who is currently on a nest that is due to hatch the 22,nd of August .
    So heres the storey ----
    She started off with 15 eggs . I candled them on day 7 and one was infertile but i left it in the nest while 14 others had viable viens and such growing .
    About 3 days ago i whent in to check on her and see how she was doing and there was an with the center of it rippd off and a dead duckling hanging out . I though maybe she had accidently cracked it by moving around or something
    the next day when i whent in to check on her again another eggs was lying out side the dog house with the egg cracked the same way and a duckling dead hanging out . At this point i thought maybe another duck or goose was doing this to her eggs so i put up a pen on the out side of the dog house so that she had enough room to walk around but she couldnt get out and nothing could get in .
    About an hour later i checked on her agian and there was another egg the same way .
    so i took the pen away thinking she did it because she didnt like the pen

Just wet in there and there was a duckling dead on the ground with it yolk sack attached . I am now down to 8 eggs so she must off did this to more eggs and i havent seen it .
    I cant take the eggs away from her becasue my incubator has turkey eggs in it and i was told not to mix eggs . There is no way that its a predator doing this because i am out there litteraly all day doing stuff .

Wat is her problem ? Any advice ? any one have this happen to them ??

Sorry the storey is so long

2. josh_bigler

josh_bigler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    windsor, missouri
    one thing i've learned with muscovies is, DONT even candle them, they will kick out the bad eggs if they sense something is wrong! and also when you do check on them the hen more than likely will get rough with you and stand on the eggs causing some to crack, so its best just to leave her alone or else you will keep getting cracked eggs! thats from my own personal experience! good luck!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by