Muscovie question

At this age, you should start to see some size difference. Also, females tend to have a finer looking face, usually. Your second picture, the one in the middle, I would say looks female. Such a dainty little face!

At this age, you should start to see some size difference. Also, females tend to have a finer looking face, usually. Your second picture, the one in the middle, I would say looks female. Such a dainty little face!
I was leaning towards female with the one you mentioned. 2 are definitely a bit smaller than the others, but the other markers don't stand out at least to me. I could put a caliper on their bills and measure them, but I would be afraid doing that would be stressful and possibly scary for them, so that I have dismissed as an option lol. I will see about later on when it is time to bring them in for the evening if I can get them situated in a way I can get some better pictures of them. To show size and tail shapes better than those pictures. Maybe some close ups of their faces will help, so will see if I can maybe get some of that too. After our experience with these Muscovy so far, we really wish we had gotten some sooner.

I was leaning towards female with the one you mentioned. 2 are definitely a bit smaller than the others, but the other markers don't stand out at least to me. I could put a caliper on their bills and measure them, but I would be afraid doing that would be stressful and possibly scary for them, so that I have dismissed as an option lol. I will see about later on when it is time to bring them in for the evening if I can get them situated in a way I can get some better pictures of them. To show size and tail shapes better than those pictures. Maybe some close ups of their faces will help, so will see if I can maybe get some of that too. After our experience with these Muscovy so far, we really wish we had gotten some sooner.
Aren't they great?? Ahem, not that I'm biased or anything...

Oh, who am I trying to kid! :lau

Shape of the tail is accurate about 50% of the time. ;) Size of the legs/feet is slightly better at this age. You may just have to wait a couple more weeks, or pick more neutral names.

I just got two more scovy ducklings today, and named them Nugget and Karat. :)

Aren't they great?? Ahem, not that I'm biased or anything...

Oh, who am I trying to kid! :lau

Shape of the tail is accurate about 50% of the time. ;) Size of the legs/feet is slightly better at this age. You may just have to wait a couple more weeks, or pick more neutral names.

I just got two more scovy ducklings today, and named them Nugget and Karat. :)
Yeah, was hoping to not need to pick more neutral names. Although if that is what we end up doing we will. We do have one we have named Fussy. It has from the start been a little fussy one, so seems appropriate haha. It is the most friendly of them, and seems to enjoy human company a bit more than the others, Fussy regularly will come hang out with us while the rest are off following the goslings foraging and chasing bugs.

I will note I was mistaken, I was thinking they are 4 weeks old this week, after checking the calendar the goslings and Muscovy are 3 weeks today, and our little hatchlings are actually just over 4 weeks now. So maybe that is part of my issues.

Back
Top Bottom