muscovie.

This is my second year on Muscovies...male ducklings (or drakes) have larger webbed feet and you can tell gender around the two month old mark based on size of feet and body. All 'scovies, (ducks or drakes) make a happy tribble noise as ducklings and then mature to a huffing/puffing verbal noise as they age. They will begin to greet you with their huffing laughter and wagging tails with a pumping neck action
love.gif
Ducks (females) that are matured and have set eggs, tend to make a loud peep noise and will hunch their feathers and scuttle back to their nests (when they are setting). They are excellent foragers, hatch large clutches of eggs and will keep your yard free of frogs,mice and insects (including ticks). They enjoy a kiddie pool for bathing, but do not need water to mate. Females do fly and can get quite some height (though tend to keep close to home base-whether it be your home or their coop). I recommend keeping them yarded for a bit to begin to recognize home base, then they can begin free-ranging, Good luck and enjoy your new ducks....
The only cons I have found is that they do have large claws that they use well for defense to get outta your grasp (use heavy gloves) and like all water fowl, have large watery poops.

I have 4 and I love them to death. I didn't know any thing about ducks when I got my first one, didn't even know what bread she was. Then I read need at least 2 so I got the other 2 the feed store was selling. Then one was given to me. They do have sharp claws when babys, not so bad once bigger. If you handle them a lot when little they will be loving once bigger. They love to swim, and eat out of my hand. Enjoy your new birds.

Back
Top Bottom