Muscovie's faces

bald k9

Songster
10 Years
Sep 5, 2009
Rural Edwardsville
Hello New to the duck pages ,but we are thinking about getting 2 or 3 ducks ,and after researching the web, we think muscovies fit the bill[no pun intended],but when we see pics of them ,we kind of get grossed out with the red stuff on the face, it looks like a growth or something,,It that on all of them or just male or female, or is it just the pure well bred ones thats have it cus I read that the more it has it scores higher in judging, we just want them because, they are suppose to be generally quiet birds, also do they get along with chickens ,thanks

The females have significantly less of the warty stuff (believe it's called carbunkles/carbunkling?) but still there is some. How much will vary duck to duck and I suppose a mixed breed might have less. Maybe meet some scovies in person, see how much it really bothers you in real life? I first met some Muscovies in person at a farm and was just really impressed with how friendly and social they were. So it made the carbunkles not seem that important. Can you think of it as so ugly, it's cute?

I live in the city and my muscovies are wonderful. The females have a lot less of the carbunkling. They come in a variety of colors and are really quiet and mellow. I got mine as older ducklings so they don't as readily come to me as ones that have imprinted on humans but they will eat out of my hand. They get along really well with my chickens too.

LOL!!! yes I know about so ugly its cute here is a pic of my baby Simon Michael
40634_simonpic1.jpg

If you love a Chinese Crested, you should be fine with muscovy. The caruncles will grow on you. Also no pun intended, well actually it was.
lol.png

They grew on me. I just got five 4 week old muscovy. They are adorable and I am so enjoying a wadding duck after having runners.

I always tell people that once you get to know a muscovy you don't even notice that some are a bit "ugly" In fact when we first got them my husband was constantly calling them ugly. Last weekend we had some friends over and upon seeing a muscovy exclaimed "Oh My God! That is one Ugly duck!" He turned around trying to figure out what she was talking about, as we don't see them as ugly anymore. They have the BEST personality, when we first got ours we had them, call ducks and runners, it was like a fleet of ships, the little sail boat, the speed boat and the Battle cruiser! I love all the colors they come in and that you can cross colors and get rarer cool colors. We started with a Blue drake a blue duck and a black pied duck. We have had two hatches with the black pied duck and the blue drake, and got a black three blue and 3 SILVER out of it. The second clutch looks like a black pied, 2 blue, 1-not sure but something pied! and 2 silvers. We had what looked like a chocolate and a chocolate pied, but they died. So far the first clutch looks like all girls! WooHoo!

Anyway long story short - Muscovies are awesome, and soon you won't even notice the face! ours will catch breads, peas, and corn in the air if thrown to them. Will try anyway, they catch 3 out of 5 peices and someone always gets what falls!

Back
Top Bottom