Arboreal Muscovy Nestlings

scworthi

Hatching
Nov 22, 2023
Greetings,

We have a domestic Muscovy duck nesting in a tree limb that is out of reach, so we were unable to collect the eggs. We think they are hatching now because we found a couple of eggshells on the ground under the nest and the mother has been very busy. It's also been about the correct amount of time since the mother began sitting on the nest. Since it is late in the season and cold for ducklings, we have set up a "duck trap" under the nest to corral the ducklings when they land on the ground after jumping out of the nest. Do the ducklings ever come out of the nest for the first time at night? We are assuming they will come out during the day since the adults tend to roost at night. We are worried about predators because the duck trap is not predator proof. It is just to contain them until we can move them to a safer location.

Thank you for your insight!

Winnie's Mom

It's not impossible for one to fall out of the nest. I've seen muscovy ducklings climb over fences I never thought they could, so keep an eye out. They are quick and quite agile. Hopefully you get to see them soon.
Thank you. A duckling came out of the nest on Thanksgiving day. The mom was not at all interested in the duckling and it was put in an indoor brooder and is spending a lot of cuddle time with people. Two days later and no more ducklings have come down. The mom is up there adjusting nest material, making motherly sounds and shuffling and rotating her body when she returns from food breaks. She threw some eggshell material out (maybe only 1 egg?) the day after the duckling came out. A day or two before the duckling came out what looked two eggshells was found under the nest. Do you think she still has viable eggs? She thinks so. Can't find much information about domestic ducks hatching their eggs this late in the season. She is a first time mom.

Thank you. A duckling came out of the nest on Thanksgiving day. The mom was not at all interested in the duckling and it was put in an indoor brooder and is spending a lot of cuddle time with people. Two days later and no more ducklings have come down. The mom is up there adjusting nest material, making motherly sounds and shuffling and rotating her body when she returns from food breaks. She threw some eggshell material out (maybe only 1 egg?) the day after the duckling came out. A day or two before the duckling came out what looked two eggshells was found under the nest. Do you think she still has viable eggs? She thinks so. Can't find much information about domestic ducks hatching their eggs this late in the season. She is a first time mom.
I'd give her another few days, than figure that's it. Muscovy don't generally have a staggered hatch in my experiences.

Generally a hen will abandon dead eggs after a bit. They can feel through the eggs a heartbeat and movement. Any way you can get up there and have a look? How high up is she?

I'd give her another few days, than figure that's it. Muscovy don't generally have a staggered hatch in my experiences.

Generally a hen will abandon dead eggs after a bit. They can feel through the eggs a heartbeat and movement. Any way you can get up there and have a look? How high up is she?
Thanks. She just out of reach of a ladder and it's precarious getting up there. Not the kind of situation where you can really grab an egg to see what's going on. Mostly we look at her with binoculars from a distance. She's in the broken off end of limb with a lot of rot sticking out from the trunk of a big oak. And there a branches hanging in front of the opening.

I figured it wouldn't be staggered but couldn't help wondering if the cold could somehow factor in in a strange way. Yesterday it didn't look like she had babies up there, and I think I saw the top of an egg. No movement in the nest when she gets off of it, but most of the nest obscured from view. Poor mamma Winnie. She's trying so hard. And it just seems so weird to me that she would prioritize dead eggs over a hatched baby.

I would be worried about one falling out of the tree. Any way you can set up a ladder? I don't think they would actually leave the nest at night but accidently falling out is a possibility.
Thanks, we did get one that seemed to have fallen out a couple of days ago, thankfully during the daytime. Nobody else seems to be coming down. Just waiting to see when mamma gives up. A ladder has been used to peek in and see mom on the nest a couple of times, but it's not helpful at all and very precarious. The nest is just out of reach and there are small branches in the way.

Thanks. She just out of reach of a ladder and it's precarious getting up there. Not the kind of situation where you can really grab an egg to see what's going on. Mostly we look at her with binoculars from a distance. She's in the broken off end of limb with a lot of rot sticking out from the trunk of a big oak. And there a branches hanging in front of the opening.

I figured it wouldn't be staggered but couldn't help wondering if the cold could somehow factor in in a strange way. Yesterday it didn't look like she had babies up there, and I think I saw the top of an egg. No movement in the nest when she gets off of it, but most of the nest obscured from view. Poor mamma Winnie. She's trying so hard. And it just seems so weird to me that she would prioritize dead eggs over a hatched baby.
I wouldn't try getting up their either. Your hen must be very agile.

My last hen had troubles with her hatch because she was in a wooden nest box. There wasn't enough moisture and the eggs shrink wrapped and all died before they could get out. Generally muscovy do best nesting on the ground because it can hold moisture.

Even in the best conditions not all eggs will hatch sometimes. Your mom will give up if it's a lost cause eventually, but it may take a bit.

Back
Top Bottom