First time ducklings and 2 mum scenario

BlazinFury

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2023
Hi,
I’ve come to this site so many times for threads of advice so I thought I would join as I have a weird issue that I’m not sure is a good or bad thing. I’ve been having ducklings these last few days but I noticed before this that 2 hens joined nests before they hatched so I don’t know which one is technically the mother. We had 1 duckling that I noticed on the 11th aug and it didn’t make it through the night so I secured the nest yesterday the 12th because we had 3 new ducklings throughout the day. They have all made it through the night and I have provided bowls of food and water to make sure they have everything they need but because there is 2 mums they seem to take it in turns leaving the nest, I haven’t seen any of the ducklings leave. Will they always stay in the nest if the hens are taking it in turns or will they naturally go to food if they’re hungry and one leaves? We’ve probably already hit the 24hrs mark since hatching but the babies still seem full of life this morning so I’m not really sure, I’ve seen online that ducks usually leave the nest for food and water at around 12hrs. I obviously am not watching them constantly but from what I’ve seen they seem to just stay with whoever is sitting in the nest.

Where is food and water? if it's close to where they are nesting the mamas may have already shown them the food and water but they can go as long as 24-36 hrs before eating. When my Muscovy hatched her duckling 9 weeks ago feed and water was close to where she had them so she could show the where to eat. My mama didn't bring her ducklings outside for about 4 days she just stayed with them until they got stable and bonded and then she brought them out. I just leave my Ducks take care of their brood most have a wonderful instinct to know just what to do. Be careful with bowls of water though ducklings are amazing how they can get into things and not be able to get out. Drowning can happen.

Where is food and water? if it's close to where they are nesting the mamas may have already shown them the food and water but they can go as long as 24-36 hrs before eating. When my Muscovy hatched her duckling 9 weeks ago feed and water was close to where she had them so she could show the where to eat. My mama didn't bring her ducklings outside for about 4 days she just stayed with them until they got stable and bonded and then she brought them out. I just leave my Ducks take care of their brood most have a wonderful instinct to know just what to do. Be careful with bowls of water though ducklings are amazing how they can get into things and not be able to get out. Drowning can happen.
Thank you, the bowls are only a couple feet away in their section. Oh wow at least that’s ok then, I thought it would have happened quicker. What should I do with the water? I have a bucket in the shed for the adult ducks so they won’t be able to get in there and outside I have paddling pools when they do eventually leave the nest but I don’t have anything temporarily. I could try a tray but I know it’s going to just spill everywhere!

You could make something like this bottom pic, then when they get older and outside they get to use this until they graduate to drinking buckets. I would keep them from being able to get into pools unless they have an easy way in and out, They can get water logged and drown and mama can help them. Mine start out with a cat litter tray then go to a cement mixing tub now that they are 9.5 weeks old they have the small kiddy pool. IMG_0548.jpeg IMG_2627.jpeg

I had 2 adjoining nests hatch a week apart that ended up being co-moms Dont worry, eventually the babies get restless and will drive mom off the nest. My duckling water is a pie plate surrounded by wire garden fencing babies can squeeze through but adults can't. (Upgrade to an oil pan when they get older.) Without the fence the adults bathe/mud it too fast. I keep a watering can next to the plate for refills.

You could make something like this bottom pic, then when they get older and outside they get to use this until they graduate to drinking buckets. I would keep them from being able to get into pools unless they have an easy way in and out, They can get water logged and drown and mama can help them. Mine start out with a cat litter tray then go to a cement mixing tub now that they are 9.5 weeks old they have the small kiddy pool. View attachment 3608260View attachment 3608256
Thank you for all the information. I will definitely do this!

I had 2 adjoining nests hatch a week apart that ended up being co-moms Dont worry, eventually the babies get restless and will drive mom off the nest. My duckling water is a pie plate surrounded by wire garden fencing babies can squeeze through but adults can't. (Upgrade to an oil pan when they get older.) Without the fence the adults bathe/mud it too fast. I keep a watering can next to the plate for refills.
Thank you for the information! They have been super active so I think they’re already pestering to come out.

IMG_0112.jpeg

Just thought I’d post an update, everyone is doing really well and really starting to grow now! 2 mums has worked out really well for them and they take it in turns with them. I had them in an old tray yesterday while supervised outside time and they were splashing about loving life 😁

Back
Top Bottom