Muscovies & mating, question

cluckers&quackers

Songster
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
Vermont
I have 1 male & female that I got last year, This year I got a male & 5 females.

Other than the new male chasing the other male off, the ducks seem to be sticking together in groups, the 1 pair together and the 1 male & 5 females together.

When I brought the new ones home I no more than let them out of the cage and the male was chasing after a female, she was running away from him like crazy and going every which way, I blocked him off for awhile because I wanted them to "learn" the yard without running wildly around in a place they didn't know.

When the male is with the females he is very persistant and doesn't back off at all, especially on one female in particuliar. Now I know there is nothing "romantic" about the duck mating process but he was after this girl so bad that I thought he had killed her.

Now the male I had on the other hand is showing no signs of mating with his girl he stays with her but no mating or so it seems. Last year he was non stop mating with her. And even with the other male separated he shows absolutely no interest in the other girls, doesn't even let them near him sometimes.

Should I put the male that is interested in mating in a fenced in area with the girls so I can keep an I on them, or just let nature take its course and let him chase them wildly around the yard? And why does my other male show no signs of interest in mating with any of the females? The one that is interested is younger, does that make a difference?

I was also wondering what time of year they start laying their eggs? I am in Vermont so our weather is still up & down, warm one day, cold the next.

cluckers&quackers :

I have 1 male & female that I got last year, This year I got a male & 5 females.

Other than the new male chasing the other male off, the ducks seem to be sticking together in groups, the 1 pair together and the 1 male & 5 females together.

When I brought the new ones home I no more than let them out of the cage and the male was chasing after a female, she was running away from him like crazy and going every which way, I blocked him off for awhile because I wanted them to "learn" the yard without running wildly around in a place they didn't know.

When the male is with the females he is very persistant and doesn't back off at all, especially on one female in particuliar. Now I know there is nothing "romantic" about the duck mating process but he was after this girl so bad that I thought he had killed her.

Now the male I had on the other hand is showing no signs of mating with his girl he stays with her but no mating or so it seems. Last year he was non stop mating with her. And even with the other male separated he shows absolutely no interest in the other girls, doesn't even let them near him sometimes.

Should I put the male that is interested in mating in a fenced in area with the girls so I can keep an I on them, or just let nature take its course and let him chase them wildly around the yard? And why does my other male show no signs of interest in mating with any of the females? The one that is interested is younger, does that make a difference?
I was also wondering what time of year they start laying their eggs? I am in Vermont so our weather is still up & down, warm one day, cold the next.

The older drake may not have to make a big deal about mating. He has his duck and the younger ducks may be coming to him for service if he is gentle and knows what he is about. It doesn't sound like the young females want to be mated by the young drake. You would be suprized how quickly mating can take place when both parties are willing
I had one old rascal that would wait until the young was chasing and then he would slip in and mate 2-3 of the willing young ducks. I didn't realize what was going on until the first hatch when most of the ducklings looked like the old dude. I quit being distracted by the drama of the young dude and started to watch the old rascal at work.​

I had to work outside today so I let the young male out and just kept an eye on him, he didn't chase them like mad this time, he has been mating with them and they don't seem to be minding it this time.

At what age do they start mating? And if they are mating does that mean they are mature enough to lay eggs, or no?

I am not sure how old the ones I just got are:/

Back
Top Bottom