Muscovies or Runner ducks - which do I want???

I say get a couple scovie hens, like 2, and then runner boys and girls. Then you have some ladies who will more than likely be broody AND you have prolific egg layers. Also the difference in egg size will be helpful in determining whos eggs are who's. I know probably not what you wanna hear but taht is my vote.
(P.S. That is why I have Anconas for eggs and 3 muscovie hens for a brooding. Of course I also have boy(s) of both for fertile eggs. Then it is just a matter of keeping records and seperating breeds during breeding season for purity.)

I know I am no help at all. Sorry.

Muscovys ALL the way. They do fly but that is the best thing about them mine dont fly out the yard maybe on the fence on the roof then onto the shed. Then the fly down to the yard. They are quiet. They have alot more personality. Arent very messy. They are great setters and mothers.

Runners are messy. Stupid looking
hide.gif
lol JMO They dont set or fly and just act like ducks with no personality

Last edited:
I do appreciate all your comments. I have found both over in the Seattle area. The issue is the Muscovies which are beautiful IMO are an extra 135 miles away so I am just not up to that. I have found blue runner eggs and maybe some babies for the dates I will be over there. I guess the runners are going to win out. Plus that is what my dh thinks is cool. We have one little runner hen and she is a riot. The smallest of the group but she is so funny.
smile.png

A lot of people just love Muscovies. They are very popular ducks. I have never had them before. Well, actually, they completely took over one of our ponds when I was growing up, but I never had anything to do with them.

Runners, however, are some of my favorite birds. I always come back to them as one of my faves. I have really lucked out with them and been fortunate to have some very tame and calm ones (not the norm for them). I highly recommend them if even only for the eggs and the amusement.
smile.png

I've seen lots of muscovies for sale here in the seattle area recently. I actually saw your ad and kept wondering if I should contact you. I have one pet quality black runner I'm thinking of letting go of. She's a really cool duck. I want a muscovy hen to replace her so I can have something broody in my runner flock.

We have Muscovies and Runners. The runners are better layers, the muscovies better meat ducks. The runners are more water ducks than the muscovies are so the runners are more messy. Also if the Muscovies are crossed with any other duck the offspring will be sterile. They are called "mules".

Steve in NC

Back
Top Bottom