Muscovy are confused and giving me mini heart attacks with their mismanagement

MuscovymamaG

Chirping
Feb 24, 2021
Hi, this is my 1st year being muscovy mamma and handling all the laying procedure one out of six lay eggs completed her clutch and sitting soundly. Other one laid but not ready to sit now she spent some 3 to 5 hours of early morning fighting for her nest with another girl get beaten by the already broody one and when everything is sorted she gets up and go. Another one is sits in others nests but not making her own although all possible things are available still she is just another confuse soul. what can I do to clear all this confusions and as I am a OCD so all these confusions mismanagement fear of losing chicks is giving me headache. kindly share your remedies.

I actually want them to get broody. Actually I sold out all my mature australorps only because I don' want to collect eggs and use incubator etc and switched to Muscovy because I heard they are good in hatching and raising so I just need to provide them food and play with them and they will do the hard wok themselves; now they are just roaming here and there and I feel I have to intervene and help them sitting and making nests.

I think it takes them a few tries to get it right, especially when it comes to raising and keeping track of the ducklings. Some people pen them up for a week or two when they first hatch their eggs so that the ducklings don't get taken to the nearest water source for a swim then left to get cold because the mother forgot she was supposed to cuddle them to dry them off. Drakes are dangerous to the ducklings as well and will often kill the ducklings if he has access to them.

I currently have 4 broody muscovy hens. Their eggs aren't fertile (our drake was far too young at that stage) and one has been broody since the beginning of December! I'm hoping they'll eventually get over it.

Here is a link that might help you with your problem.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/broody-duck-what-now.75251/
Also broody muscovys can be very protective over their nest when they are sitting at least mine are. So you might want to add to your coop an area where you could put the broody hens and their eggs in. Make it to where the others can see them, but not touch.

Back
Top Bottom