Muscovy broody yet?!

Runner2forhim

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2019
I have a one year old Muscovy who just finished building her nest with about 15 eggs and she goes and lays on them a little through out the day the last two days or so, but not full time like my broody hens. How do you know when they “Officially” go broody to start the 35 day timeframe for hatching?

I have a one year old Muscovy who just finished building her nest with about 15 eggs and she goes and lays on them a little through out the day the last two days or so, but not full time like my broody hens. How do you know when they “Officially” go broody to start the 35 day timeframe for hatching?

When they sit tight, and hiss and bite at you. You will definitely know.

Got that right! My duck is on her 2nd brood. She started hiding eggs on me on the 5th of the month, but didn't 'camp out' on her nest until the 11th, or 12th.
Just keep an eye on her and you will know when she's "sitting tight". Mine has about 10 days to go, and she only leaves the nest about 15 min per day to eat and drink. If yours wanders more, don't worry. I've noticed that Muscovy tend to stack/bury their eggs so they retain heat better when the nest is unattended.
They are not real ducks, anyway, and act more prehistoric the more I study them.
Another thing I discovered is that they will cull their own eggs as hatching time grows nearer. So far I have found 3 eggs that the duck/hen kick out of the nest after sitting on them for weeks. Interesting.....

Back
Top Bottom