Muscovy Cancer?

dutyfree

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2020
W Palm Beach
A friendly Muscovy whom I call Bernard has a wound on the back of his neck - originally I thought he had got in a pecking fight as like many males he can be rather aggressive with other ducks. However, I noticed it about 3 months ago and it is still not healed. His feathers even seem like they are less black and fading in color so I am worried he's anemic or something from this (sounds crazy I know but he seems to be slowing down a bit too) Is is possible this is a cancerous growth? He isn't "mine" per-se but he is in my yard sun up to sun down every day and I feed him and care about him. Any advice on confirming that wound and what if anything to do about it? (Though friendly, he is not tame enough where I could easily pick him up and take him to a vet) Thanks all!
bernard_neck.jpeg
bern2.jpeg

A friendly Muscovy whom I call Bernard has a wound on the back of his neck - originally I thought he had got in a pecking fight as like many males he can be rather aggressive with other ducks. However, I noticed it about 3 months ago and it is still not healed. His feathers even seem like they are less black and fading in color so I am worried he's anemic or something from this (sounds crazy I know but he seems to be slowing down a bit too) Is is possible this is a cancerous growth? He isn't "mine" per-se but he is in my yard sun up to sun down every day and I feed him and care about him. Any advice on confirming that wound and what if anything to do about it? (Though friendly, he is not tame enough where I could easily pick him up and take him to a vet) Thanks all!View attachment 2064543View attachment 2064545
HE'S BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

(Though friendly, he is not tame enough where I could easily pick him up and take him to a vet) Thanks all!
Most Muscovy's aren't very tame and make a lot of noise when anyone gets near them (In my experience) but I do believe that you can tame them as much as you can tame a dog:D

Most Muscovy's aren't very tame and make a lot of noise when anyone gets near them (In my experience) but I do believe that you can tame them as much as you can tame a dog:D

Really? I've heard only the opposite, that they are a very friendly breed, of course each birds personalty will vary. How much noise can a Muscovy make? Lol

Back
Top Bottom