Muscovy claw question

I’ve had a few of my Muscovy get their claw broken off maybe from climbing or catching them on something. I’ve never seen them actually do it but one of my solid white ones years ago broke one off and she was Covered in blood I thought a predator had gotten hold of her till I saw it was one of her claws. Boy was that a relief.

My white Muscovy hen completely ripped off one of her nails (and yes it was one of her outermost nails) at some point this spring. I didn’t see it happen and never found blood. She did not seemed bothered, although I’m sure it hurt badly, and her nail is slowly growing back. I guess that’s the risk of having such magnificent “talons”. I trim my Rouen’s nails if needed (usually in winter when she isn’t wearing them down) but I think my Muscovy girls would seriously object to such a thing.

I know this is an old thread, but my white Muscovy didn’t again! And again, it is one of her outermost nails. It looked like a crime scene this am, and it didn’t help that she spread the blood all over her chest. It’s no longer bleeding and I have to go to work. My husband will keep an eye on her today. Between her and Daphne’s bill and possible leg injury, I feel like they need to be wrapped in bubble wrap! “Luckily”, the temp is in the 20’s again, so they will be content to rest in the barn today.

It may be a good idea to have some styptic powder on hand because it'll most likely happen again.

Good idea, thank you! Thankfully, the bleeding had stopped by the time I did my morning duck duties. However, I searched everywhere this evening to find where she got her claw caught, and found splattered blood everywhere with no obvious starting place (besides that it was somewhere on the stall railing). Poor dear girl. She‘s doing great this evening - no limping, no redness, no swelling. Besides the lack of claw, you wold not be able to tell that anything happened. I did make sure that she went to bed nice and clean, and put all new bedding in their stall so that her foot will stay clean and dry as well.

Back
Top Bottom