Muscovy Drake Behaviour

jacqwadd

Hatching
Jan 15, 2016
Hi guys, I brought my daughter a Muscovy at around 2 weeks old back at the start of November. My daughter is 2.5 years and a total animal lover like her mum, and Ginger quickly became her best friend. They love each other and have an amazing bond. Over chrsitmas we went on a holiday and Ginger along with the rest of our animals went on a holiday to grandmas house. We popped in to visit a few times, and the greeting was beautiful, then earlier this week we popped in and my daughter said hello and turned to alk away thinking GInger would follow her and instead h grabbed the back of her shirt and some skin, and flapped wings and attempted to lift his feet up.
I know what you are going to say but I need to be told. He has not got his full red face and is a huge Muscovy, he could do some damage to my daughter, is this the beginning of a continuous behaviour, thinking she is his mate. I am planning to leave him at my mums but should I put him on my sisters farm where he will get little human contact.

thanks

Hi guys, I brought my daughter a Muscovy at around 2 weeks old back at the start of November. My daughter is 2.5 years and a total animal lover like her mum, and Ginger quickly became her best friend. They love each other and have an amazing bond. Over chrsitmas we went on a holiday and Ginger along with the rest of our animals went on a holiday to grandmas house. We popped in to visit a few times, and the greeting was beautiful, then earlier this week we popped in and my daughter said hello and turned to alk away thinking GInger would follow her and instead h grabbed the back of her shirt and some skin, and flapped wings and attempted to lift his feet up.
I know what you are going to say but I need to be told. He has not got his full red face and is a huge Muscovy, he could do some damage to my daughter, is this the beginning of a continuous behaviour, thinking she is his mate. I am planning to leave him at my mums but should I put him on my sisters farm where he will get little human contact.

thanks
@jacqwadd what your seeing is drake behavior and especially when the drake is the only duck. They get confused as to what they are and who they are to pick for a mate that is one reason it is always best to have at least 2-3 ducklings grow up together. I'd say with your dd being so young it would be a good idea to let your drake have place where he can interact with his own kind. Not that he shouldn't have interaction with people but once he has his own flock he will be much happier and will be alot easier to be around. I'd try a female for your dd.or a puppy or kitten, It's not the drakes fault he is just imprinted on the wrong species. and when hormones begin to surge they just can't help themselves. If your dd was older say 6 you could help her work on this but at her young age I don't think she could work this out with Ginger.

Back
Top Bottom