Muscovy drake possibly bitten by dog

You have checked to make sure the eye ball is still there? No infection no drainage?
The eyeball is still there but unfortunately I think he may be blind in that eye now. He rarely opens it but it now looks like a darker color than his other eye. He opens the eye when he is excited but when I approach from that side even when it is open, he doesn’t seem able to see me. When I try to bring my hand towards that eye, he doesn’t react, but he pulls his head away when I do it from the other side. I’m not sure if he would naturally keep the eye closed just because it is blind? I will attach pictures of the injured eye open and his normal eye for comparison, the normal eye is more golden in color while the injured is a darker brown. I have been flushing with saline every day and I was rubbing antibiotic ointment on the wounds, but they all seem to have healed without infection. The eye doesn’t obviously appear injured but might be slightly more sunken into the head than his other eye, although it’s hard to tell because he is always closing it. After the first couple of days, there hasn’t been any more drainage or anything. He is now at least eating and active as he used to be, so I think he can continue to live a happy life even if he has become half blind, but I will continue to try to treat if there is any way the eye can be saved.
IMG_2161.jpeg
IMG_2162.jpeg

It looks to be healed. My Muscovy was hit by a hawk she didn't sustain life-threatening injuries but she is now blind in one eye. The only wound she had was below the eye and it was only a small puncture so the only thing I can think might have happened was the nerve was injured. Your drake shouldn't have any problems they adapt so well. Just keep an eye on it to make sure infection is cleared up. You've done a good job caring for him.

It looks to be healed. My Muscovy was hit by a hawk she didn't sustain life-threatening injuries but she is now blind in one eye. The only wound she had was below the eye and it was only a small puncture so the only thing I can think might have happened was the nerve was injured. Your drake shouldn't have any problems they adapt so well. Just keep an eye on it to make sure infection is cleared up. You've done a good job caring for him.
Awww, that sounds like the same thing that must have happened to my drake because the only puncture I saw around his eye was at the bottom of the eyelid and it didn’t look like the eye itself had been touched. I’m glad he seems like he’s already adapted well, but I still feel so sad for him. Thank you for the advice about the situation😌

Back
Top Bottom