Muscovy drake possibly bitten by dog

Ducksdogsandcays

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2023
During feeding time tonight, my muscovy drake wandered up to the dog bowl and one of the dogs snapped at him guarding the food. I didn’t see the bite but turned around to see him laying on the ground with the dog over him. They have been living side by side for months and the dog has never done this before. Usually I closely monitor them during feeding, but I turned away for a minute to get my other dog his scoop of food and it happened that fast. I feel incredibly guilty.

I immediately thought the drake was dead and ran to grab him, but he was still alive. I don’t see any obvious puncture wounds but he is not acting right. I tried to give him his favorite snack and he slowly walked into his duck house and stood in the corner. He is squeezing his eyes shut. I thought the dog may have damaged an eye and tried to look, but it looks intact and I don’t see the obvious damage. Also, his red face mask looks like it has a yellow secretion immediately following the attack. I’m not sure if this is a wound or something he released from it? Does this mean the dog has punctured his face mask? I don’t see any blood.

I’m not sure what to do because I can’t find the wound, but the duck seems like he is going into shock and is just huddled in the corner of his house with his eyes shut and shaking a little. I’m not sure if it’s possible that this is just a fear reaction or if he is internally injured and I can’t see it. I will try to call the vet to come out tomorrow, but it’s getting late now. Just wondering if there is anything I can do for him when I can’t find the wound.

I would give some water with sugar (1 tsp per cup) for shock. When he has drunk some, look him over for wounds. Was she shake or did the dog grab him? Separate him from the dogs. I will tag @Miss Lydia for more help.

I'd try giving the sugar water and see if it helps. Did you go all through his feathers to make sure there isn't a wound? For his face I'd put some antibiotic ointment on his mask where you saw the oozing I haven't ever had one of my Muscovy injured their caruncles so not sure what this yellow might be but I'd def clean it up and use the ointment or Veterycin spray for wounds and infections. Sure hope he will be okay.

I would give some water with sugar (1 tsp per cup) for shock. When he has drunk some, look him over for wounds. Was she shake or did the dog grab him? Separate him from the dogs. I will tag @Miss Lydia for more help.
I just gave him water and he drank a bit, I will try again adding sugar now. He had one of his eyes open but the other is still closed. He opened it very briefly and shut it again. I am afraid it is his eye that is injured. He is holding his head very close to his body also. I think the dog snapped once and let go, but I didn’t see the bite and just heard it. He seems a bit scared of me right now and tries to get away when I approach, which isn’t like him.

I'd try giving the sugar water and see if it helps. Did you go all through his feathers to make sure there isn't a wound? For his face I'd put some antibiotic ointment on his mask where you saw the oozing I haven't ever had one of my Muscovy injured their caruncles so not sure what this yellow might be but I'd def clean it up and use the ointment or Veterycin spray for wounds and infections. Sure hope he will be okay.
I’ve looked through the feathers and don’t see anything. The issue seems to be with his eye and possibly caruncle, although I don’t see an obvious puncture wound. I think his eye was possibly injured or the area around his eye, but I can’t tell for sure. He took a few more steps to get water but still held his head in close to his body with one eye closed, the other is now open.

It is morning here now and I have good news and bad news about the duck. The good news is, he walked out of his pen this morning and seems to be in better spirits. I was up half the night afraid he would pass with how he was acting last night. The bad news is, his eye is still closed. Sorry it isn’t a better picture, but this is what the eye looks like now. I also see what I think are two small wounds on either side of his caruncle (in the bottom right of his mask in the picture), so I think the dog grabbed him in the face. I’m not sure if the actual eye is injured or just near to it.

Attachments

• IMG_2063.jpeg
    IMG_2063.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 6
Another update: it has been a few more hours, and the wounds are becoming more obvious now. He has about 6 distinct punctures all on his caruncle. None of them are very deep, but his left eye is weeping fluid and his right eye has a puncture to the eyelid which may have gone into the eye itself, although I’m not sure about that. I cleaned all of the wounds as best as I could and applied an antibiotic ointment because it is the only thing I had (I hope this is ok). He is not very tame but once I finally had a good hold on him and grabbed his head, he let me clean the wounds pretty well. Unfortunately, he has not eaten since the incident although I’ve tried to bring him various foods. He seems to be drinking water alright. He is mostly staying in his duck house this morning when usually he is out at he pond this time of day. I saw him come out briefly in the morning and he had a dip in the pond, but he quickly returned inside. His mate has been staying inside of the house with him.

Another update: it has been a few more hours, and the wounds are becoming more obvious now. He has about 6 distinct punctures all on his caruncle. None of them are very deep, but his left eye is weeping fluid and his right eye has a puncture to the eyelid which may have gone into the eye itself, although I’m not sure about that. I cleaned all of the wounds as best as I could and applied an antibiotic ointment because it is the only thing I had (I hope this is ok). He is not very tame but once I finally had a good hold on him and grabbed his head, he let me clean the wounds pretty well. Unfortunately, he has not eaten since the incident although I’ve tried to bring him various foods. He seems to be drinking water alright. He is mostly staying in his duck house this morning when usually he is out at he pond this time of day. I saw him come out briefly in the morning and he had a dip in the pond, but he quickly returned inside. His mate has been staying inside of the house with him.
Antibiotic ointment is perfect! As long as it doesn’t have pain relief in it!! It is harmful. As far as applying ointment make sure you’re checking the wounds daily and keeping them clean. Watch out for flystrike!

Antibiotic ointment is perfect! As long as it doesn’t have pain relief in it!! It is harmful. As far as applying ointment make sure you’re checking the wounds daily and keeping them clean. Watch out for flystrike!
It has been about a week and most of the wounds healed up. Sadly, his eye never reopened. I saw it open for a couple of seconds at most over the past week but otherwise he keeps it closed although the obvious damage has healed 😔
IMG_2117.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom